California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Reputable muffler shops that will remove secondary cats?

Old 05-21-2013, 01:03 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Reputable muffler shops that will remove secondary cats?

The one I usually go to won't do it....
Old 05-21-2013, 02:22 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Burlingame Muffler will totally do it.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

stainless steal or titanium?
Old 05-21-2013, 05:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by iDashX
stainless steal or titanium?
probably stainless steal
Old 05-22-2013, 02:08 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TougeHorseman
Burlingame Muffler will totally do it.
thanks, I saw your post on the BR-Z forum too

Pipes are 3" Stainless and want to do something like the far right pipe...maybe re-build the X-pipe section and remove the resonators too:

Old 05-22-2013, 10:55 PM

No problem. Burlingame mufflers can literally do anything. You'll be a satisfied customer gaurenteed. He reinforced my comptech exhaust and its basically better than factory now.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:08 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i wouldn't really broadcast which shops will remove cats or perform other emissions related transgressions. there have been shops that were taken down due to guys spreading the word on local forums about shops doing illegal smogs & etc. go through PM or something.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Trustd_1
i wouldn't really broadcast which shops will remove cats or perform other emissions related transgressions. there have been shops that were taken down due to guys spreading the word on local forums about shops doing illegal smogs & etc. go through PM or something.
My thought is that this is a mod is intended for a "race car" or off-road vehicle or track vehicle.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:31 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TougeHorseman
Originally Posted by Trustd_1' timestamp='1369336104' post='22562752
My thought is that this is a mod is intended for a "race car" or off-road vehicle or track vehicle.
no need to justify things. wasn't trying to call you out exclusively. we all know that people run test pipes, hollowed cats, less cats, aftermarket turbos, etc, and there are shops that install & perform the mods. the detractors to this hobby are getting more prevalent, and the laws & enforcement against it are getting more aggressive. it's a catch 22 cuz forums are meant to help people w/common interests share info, but there are others that frequent them too. sometimes, it's best to err on the side of caution and be discreet.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Trustd_1
Originally Posted by TougeHorseman' timestamp='1369339253' post='22562888
[quote name='Trustd_1' timestamp='1369336104' post='22562752']
no need to justify things. wasn't trying to call you out exclusively. we all know that people run test pipes, hollowed cats, less cats, aftermarket turbos, etc, and there are shops that install & perform the mods. the detractors to this hobby are getting more prevalent, and the laws & enforcement against it are getting more aggressive. it's a catch 22 cuz forums are meant to help people w/common interests share info, but there are others that frequent them too. sometimes, it's best to err on the side of caution and be discreet.
[/quote]
I totally agree. And I have some questions to consider...
I wasn't sure the legality of a shop knowingly installing a non-smog legal part (like a non-carb legal intake, header, HFC/TP; or "too loud" of an exhaust, etc).

Is it the shop's responsibility to know the legality of what they are installing, or the owner of the registered vehicle who bears the responsibility?
Is it the shop's responsibility to confirm the part is intended for a 'legally registered vehicle' vs. a track-prepped un-registered race car?
Is the shop at fault (and punishable by legal action) for installing a non smog-legal part?

Certainly a smog shop "fudging" a smog means they are responsible for their actions, but as far as not being a smog shop, and just an independent muffler shop or mechanic installing a part on a car, I question who bears legal responsibility.

For example, tint shops install "illegal" front window tint all day long in California, and my sense is that the enforcement of the broken law is a problem for the car-owner, not the shop who installed the tint. Wouldn't this same philosophy install for exhaust/emissions parts?

I've always kept my cars smog legal to avoid this sort of hassle.

Quick Reply: Reputable muffler shops that will remove secondary cats?