California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Replacing the CV joints

Old 10-17-2012, 03:59 PM

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Replacing the CV joints

So recently I've noticed that my car starts to get a mild vibration during acceleration. I've read up on these forums, and from all of the material I've collected, the culprit is most likely the CV joints. My question to you guys is how hard is it to replace the cv joints? I'm no mechanic by any means, but I can do simple stuff i.e. oil changes. Have any of you here in the bay have to replace your cv joints, and if so, how much did it cost (for parts) and how hard was it for you? Thanks in advance.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RUINER831
So recently I've noticed that my car starts to get a mild vibration during acceleration. I've read up on these forums, and from all of the material I've collected, the culprit is most likely the CV joints. My question to you guys is how hard is it to replace the cv joints? I'm no mechanic by any means, but I can do simple stuff i.e. oil changes. Have any of you here in the bay have to replace your cv joints, and if so, how much did it cost (for parts) and how hard was it for you? Thanks in advance.
is your cv boot torn? if it is, your cj joints are probably shot from all the dirt dust shit getting in there. how many miles on the car? suspension mod? alignments? wheel offset? trackdays? those can all be a contributing factor for a bad cv joint. im at 120k mines are still fine. i always lube it lol. if its normal wear and tear , i would replace all of them the same time. easy job if you know how to remove your brakes disc etc and axle.
Old 10-20-2012, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im guessing you lowered your car, because i too had the same problem. Once i lowered my car the vibrations started happening when i accelerate. You dont have to replace your axles, just install axle spacers. http://www.enjukuracing.com/products...nda-S2000.html

Hope this helps!
Old 10-22-2012, 07:25 AM

I installed a new cv bucket on the driver side
Took about 2 hours. Actually i didnt even replace the tri bearing and spider but just the bucket. I bought 2 new buckets from majestic but only used 1. I also used a higher quality grease redline.

While adding the bucket spacers is a whole lot cheaper than replacing the buckets, that wasnt a legal option for the auto-x class i was racing in at the time.

If your interested in purchasing my extra bucket, look on majestics website and then make me an offer...
Old 10-22-2012, 02:18 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

If you want to gamble on a reman, they're 50-100$ each, may be a better option than the bucket swapping.

Mine was 43.99+tax (have to bring a core) and it looks 100% OEM. no issues yet 70 miles done
Old 10-22-2012, 06:25 PM

On aftermarket axles:

I snapped one of my OEM axles, and replaced it with a new aftermarket axle. I had a vibration around 60-70mph. Put in a used stock axle, vibration went away. Maybe it was vibrating because one axle was stock and one aftermarket? Maybe? Maybe it was something else, but the shaft of the aftermarket axle wasn't as thick as the OEM axle.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Aftermarket axles are not good for s2000's.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:42 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris_
On aftermarket axles:

I snapped one of my OEM axles, and replaced it with a new aftermarket axle. I had a vibration around 60-70mph. Put in a used stock axle, vibration went away. Maybe it was vibrating because one axle was stock and one aftermarket? Maybe? Maybe it was something else, but the shaft of the aftermarket axle wasn't as thick as the OEM axle.
I notice a bit of vibration under high g load acceleration when turning right (aftermarket drivers side axle only). Considering sourcing an OEM axle when the funds come. Where did you find yours.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:03 AM

My aftermarket was from worldpac. I think the brand was FEQ. My Oem one I found on Craigslist.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:34 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Feq is crap. Just FYI

Quick Reply: Replacing the CV joints