California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Rear -end noise #@!*%

Old 09-23-2003, 03:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear -end noise #@!*%

I took my baby in for a weird noise coming from the rear wheels like a clunking sound when you put it in reverse then let out the clutch , sounds kinda like worn CV joints in front wheel drive cars . I brought it into Hayward Honda and they said they serviced it and changed the fluid but it still makes that sound.
I have to bring it back in on Oct. 2 when the mechanic that is Factory trained can look at it , they told me that driving it should be ok but I don't think it wise to be driving around . I will
garage it till Oct. When I bring it in. Anybody ever have a problem similar to this ? Thanks for any input.

SUPER-MARIO-KART
Old 09-23-2003, 03:41 PM

My '02 has an occasional slight clunk when going into 1st and reverse, but that's normal, and it happens when I just finish moving the shifter, not when I let out the clutch. Is this a new noise?
Old 09-23-2003, 04:33 PM

Yes it started about 1 week ago, I just was about to take it in for the scheduled 15m mile service when it started to make that sound .So I decided to take it in for the service and for them to check the noise out. They told me it's still under warranty and it wouldn't cost anything to find out what it is and fix it.
Also I plan in the next week or so to buy new tire's for it but not sure what to get the S-03 or S-02 ,and how does the tire rack thing work ? I live in Hayward. Thanks

SUPER-MARIO-KART
Old 09-23-2003, 07:11 PM

i think there is a TSB out for this one....they just lube up some bolt or something like that....ask JDMWhore....he had that TSB done...
Old 09-23-2003, 09:36 PM

yeah there's a TSB for both axle nuts. it's for cars that have a clunking noise when going reverse or forward. they'll just change both axle nuts and torque it down to i think 220ft lbs.

edit: found it

Old 09-24-2003, 03:29 PM

Another less serious cause of this kind of noise is the brake pads shifting slightly and clicking against the caliper bracket when you change directions. Check to see if the pads are loose.

For Tirerack I just picked a place nearby (Big O Tires in Alameda), got a written quote for mount/balance, then ordered from Tirerack online and had the tires drop-shipped to the shop. Took my car in a couple days later and watched them do the work.

I don't remember how much it cost (maybe $15 to $18 per tire), but I do remember Big O telling me they would just pricematch Tirerack next time. If you try to pricematch make sure you include the tax difference (no sales tax at Tirerack).

Let me know how it goes for you. I have to get new tires in the next month, so if you find a good place in the East Bay, spread the news. I have the original fronts on the car after over 30,000 miles. My car is remarkably unsafe if it rains...

Last time I elected to get OEM SO2's because I didn't want to change the performance characteristics of the car.
Old 10-05-2003, 05:40 PM

Well on Friday Hayward Honda told me that my rear-end was Kaput!! It seems the fluid was burnt
and so was the rear end and can't be fixed so they are replacing it for me should be done by Tuesday if the parts come in.Glad it's under warranty , But I don't understand why ? I have never driven it that hard ...OK so maybe once or twice but I really baby it as much as possible . I enjoy V'ing when the urge hits but not to the extent that would fry the rear-end. I had done 149MPH once and a couple of 125's . But come on!!

SUPER-MARIO-KART

Old 10-05-2003, 07:16 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

You said in your first post that they changed the fluid. I would almost bet you a beer that they put in the WRONG fluid. Honda dealers do NOT have the correct fluid for the S2000. Most of them simply put in the fluid they use for CRV and Pilot diffs. This is the WRONG fluid. Another owner here posted that he went through this same experience. The diff went kaput after about a week and they gave him a new diff. The diff fluid is the ONLY fluid that Honda dealers do NOT normally carry the right stuff. When you get your new diff, make sure you give them a bottle of Mobil 1 75W90 synthetic gear oil. If they insist on putting their own crap in, you can expect to get another new diff from them shortly thereafter.
Old 10-06-2003, 06:13 AM

I've heard that noise in my 02 and now I'm concerned. I will print this page when I bring it in for the 7500 mile service. I didn't like the sound and it isn't always there but I knew it couldn't be good. Thanks for the info.
Old 10-06-2003, 11:07 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by LATEOTT
(...snip...)

I have to get new tires in the next month, so if you find a good place in the East Bay, spread the news. I have the original fronts on the car after over 30,000 miles.

Quick Reply: Rear -end noise #@!*%