California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Rear Diffuser

Old 10-13-2006, 08:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Diffuser

hey guys im thinking of getting a rear diffuser. anything i should know about before a purchase?

one thing im worried about is the effectiveness of air flow around the diff for cooling.
pics would be nice too.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:49 PM

dont need pics, i did a search but feel free to post some.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:04 PM

Hey Mr. Choi

If you are in for show, the diffusers look really great. If you are a track head, as far as I know there are not any rear diffusers proven affective.

They look better then the 72" picnic table on the back of your car, but do they work better?

-Randy
Old 10-13-2006, 11:38 PM

There aren't any rear diffusers that have proper angles to actually provide downforce. It will lower the ground clearance and you will need to hack it up to fit your exhaust.

I had a prototype C/F piece that actually provided substantial downforce but it was on a MY04 and it ended up pulling the bumper down on the test car after rebounding down after a bump and ate the ground to be torn into shreds. So I can see why none of the companies offer anything useful. It's just not practical and the dynamic changes due to height cannot be controlled. Some of them WOULD reduce drag/lift.
Old 10-14-2006, 08:44 AM

I think they work. I went over some dry wall on the freeway and didn't hit it with my tires but the diffuser sucked the pieces up.

Old 10-14-2006, 08:45 AM

here's a top secret one. Its MarkNConnie's ride.

Old 10-14-2006, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by SojuSoulja,Oct 14 2006, 09:44 AM
I think they work. I went over some dry wall on the freeway and didn't hit it with my tires but the diffuser sucked the pieces up.
Yes but you didn't happen to watch it from under the car did you? It could have just been turbulence that picked it up. The lowered GC from the dry wall could have also made it produce some effectiveness. I'm not an aero engineer by any means but my prototypes were designed by my friend who is one and I and we just couldn't come up with something that would be functional enough and provide enough ground clearance.

Like I said, they are good at reducing lift but actually providing downforce I'll hold my breath on. There's a lot of lift in the rear that you have to eliminate before you can actually have a downward force.
Old 10-14-2006, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by kane.s2k,Oct 14 2006, 09:11 AM
Yes but you didn't happen to watch it from under the car did you? It could have just been turbulence that picked it up. The lowered GC from the dry wall could have also made it produce some effectiveness. I'm not an aero engineer by any means but my prototypes were designed by my friend who is one and I and we just couldn't come up with something that would be functional enough and provide enough ground clearance.

Like I said, they are good at reducing lift but actually providing downforce I'll hold my breath on. There's a lot of lift in the rear that you have to eliminate before you can actually have a downward force.
i think as long as it reduces lift its doing its job. i didnt expect it to create downforce.

Hey joe if you're reading this i need a rear diffuser!
Old 10-14-2006, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by SojuSoulja,Oct 14 2006, 08:44 AM

Nice pics but I can't see any Chamisul
Old 10-14-2006, 04:54 PM

they certainly look nice...

but its a placebo mod you nartards

Quick Reply: Rear Diffuser