California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

R&D factory Xbrace...

Old 09-16-2012, 05:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by eklipz98
Originally Posted by slightly2ned' timestamp='1347822337' post='22015560
One thing to note, this piece saved my oil pan from any potential damage. When I installed it, it was new - after some time of use on track/mountains, eventually the bar started getting gashes (deep scratches) right in the area where the oil pan is located. Im assuming if it wasnt for that brace, that damage wouldve translated to the pan since the distance between where the bar mounts & the oil pan is relatively close.
When I nailed a boulder with my x-brace/oil-pan/quick-release-oil-drain plug, my theory was that the spoon x-brace bent up to contact the oil pan and the drain valve. I think that with a perfect storm, and a big enough hit, the x brace can do more damage and protection than we'd expect. Imagine something hitting the x-brace, and the x brace bending upwards and wrapping around the oil pan to maximize the surface area at point of contact. For me, it meant a bent x-brace, a destroyed oil drain valve, a crack oil pain, and various amounts of other carnage.
if that case,ive just raise the car up a bit so the xbrace can have enough ground clearance right?
Old 09-16-2012, 05:58 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SolidTypeSexy
Originally Posted by eklipz98' timestamp='1347843115' post='22016177
[quote name='slightly2ned' timestamp='1347822337' post='22015560']
One thing to note, this piece saved my oil pan from any potential damage. When I installed it, it was new - after some time of use on track/mountains, eventually the bar started getting gashes (deep scratches) right in the area where the oil pan is located. Im assuming if it wasnt for that brace, that damage wouldve translated to the pan since the distance between where the bar mounts & the oil pan is relatively close.
When I nailed a boulder with my x-brace/oil-pan/quick-release-oil-drain plug, my theory was that the spoon x-brace bent up to contact the oil pan and the drain valve. I think that with a perfect storm, and a big enough hit, the x brace can do more damage and protection than we'd expect. Imagine something hitting the x-brace, and the x brace bending upwards and wrapping around the oil pan to maximize the surface area at point of contact. For me, it meant a bent x-brace, a destroyed oil drain valve, a crack oil pain, and various amounts of other carnage.
if that case,ive just raise the car up a bit so the xbrace can have enough ground clearance right?
[/quote]
Honestly, I was just outlining a worst-case scenario. If it's possible, it will eventually happen.
The best x-braces are ones which don't reduce the ground clearance of the car IMO.
Chances are you will be fine. I just had a very unfortunate incident.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you hit something hard enough for the brace to damage the oil pan either way the oil pan would have been f^[<%d.
So i think some protection is better than none.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by nos4you
If you hit something hard enough for the brace to damage the oil pan either way the oil pan would have been f^[<%d.
So i think some protection is better than none.
I agree there's a certain window of clearance where both the oil pan and the x-brace would be toast.

I'm still not necessarily convinced the x-brace "protects" as much as common knowledge would give it credit for.

For example, if the xbrace lowers that margin of error, and effectively lowers the ground clearance of the car by 1-2", if something hits the x-brace, it will then bend the brace into the pan, and the thickness of the brace will be the equation to calculate the lost clearance, transferring impact directly to the oil pan to a greater degree.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO, the ultimate purpose of the bracing is to increase the rigidity up front with the oil pan protection being a secondary bonus/function - however one can say it can be quite the opposite as such in Casey's experience. Its good though for people to have this as a reference to make an educated decision on the install of the modification.

Casey, can you link up that post you made of your experience with your Spoon X-Brace?
Old 09-18-2012, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the info guys, got me thinking alot.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:57 PM

Power just went out in walnut creek. Will update when I get a chance. My post about the incident had been edited a few times for confidentiality but I can repost the pics since I still have them all.