California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Rain troubles

Old 03-17-2012, 02:39 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

I can never be sure what to say about the rain. People in CA treat it like snow. I never had a problem, even after MAc pointed out my bald tires.
Old 03-17-2012, 10:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rob-2
I can never be sure what to say about the rain. People in CA treat it like snow. I never had a problem, even after MAc pointed out my bald tires.
I don't drive too much differently in the rain than I do when it's dry, other than reacting to other peoples stupidity. I still vtec like crazy
Old 03-18-2012, 04:55 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Every time I read these threads I just laugh - you guys are so lame to complain about the rain....sheesh

I never have an issue either, whether with my s2000 or any other car. I find it ridiculous that people drive so slow on the highway when it rains and clogs up traffic, idiots!

I would think with all the track guys on here that you guys have some skill driving in the rain. Try moving to Chicago and live a few years driving in the snow, black ice and real adverse weather conditions.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by s4play
Originally Posted by rob-2' timestamp='1332023947' post='21518551
Every time I read these threads I just laugh - you guys are so lame to complain about the rain....sheesh

I never have an issue either, whether with my s2000 or any other car. I find it ridiculous that people drive so slow on the highway when it rains and clogs up traffic, idiots!

I would think with all the track guys on here that you guys have some skill driving in the rain. Try moving to Chicago and live a few years driving in the snow, black ice and real adverse weather conditions.
Its not the people drive slow when it rains, its that there are a few who drive way too fast when it rains, lose control, and crash or spin and cause massive shockwaves of people slamming on their brakes which ripples back and makes more traffic and more accidents.

And lets face the reality here... we aren't STUCK in traffic, we ARE traffic.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:00 AM
Former Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by danvuquoc
Old 03-18-2012, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by s4play
Originally Posted by rob-2' timestamp='1332023947' post='21518551

Track guys usually dont have the correct tires and/or alignment that is good for rain, at least the ones that daily their cars. I know my car definitely is not setup for any kind of wet enviroment, however with the right mindset you can always be a safe driver and that is what i aim for when it is wet out.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:47 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by danvuquoc
Originally Posted by s4play' timestamp='1332075338' post='21519600
[quote name='rob-2' timestamp='1332023947' post='21518551']

Its not the people drive slow when it rains, its that there are a few who drive way too fast when it rains, lose control, and crash or spin and cause massive shockwaves of people slamming on their brakes which ripples back and makes more traffic and more accidents.

[/quote]

I recall my last trip to the bay with the Subaru. Nikki and I were heading back from the Friday meet, around 1am with an inch or more of standing water. We would regularly hydroplane (one or two tires, not all 4) above 65mph. So I slowed down, moved to the right lane and cruised all the way home around 60mph. There were people doing 30-40 and some doing 80. Sure enough on the hills and dips on 680 we saw people who had spun out. A few off ramps were flooded and people had just drove into standing water. A real cock up and a prime example of how poor our driver training is.

I suspect because most people in California never see a winter, IE snow, ice and whiteout conditions they are lacking real driving experience. So they either fail to adjust for the conditions or over compensate. In my case doing 5-10 under the limit allowed the tires to perform within their design. With fresh tires I'm sure we would have done the limit.

Rick just like you, I think rainy day threads are lame. I take the S out with summer tires in near freezing conditions, with snow and gravel on the road - be in not standing snow. No problems. No sudden spins. No loss of traction. No fear of the car exploding.

These threads make me think some owners are better at driving their cars on the video games than in real life. To your point re-track days, I don't think people b!tching about rain ever drive their cars on the track or near the limit.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:13 PM
Former Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Rick just like you, I think rainy day threads are lame.
You've posted in here twice it must not be that lame and I see nothing wrong with awareness.

We were all young once and I'm pretty sure we all weren't born with a racing background or racing in our DNA.

If you need a hand getting off the horse I can bring a ladder.
Old 03-18-2012, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by macr88
Originally Posted by rob-2' timestamp='1332100065' post='21520289
Rick just like you, I think rainy day threads are lame.
You've posted in here twice it must not be that lame and I see nothing wrong with awareness.

We were all young once and I'm pretty sure we all weren't born with a racing background or racing in our DNA.

If you need a hand getting off the horse I can bring a ladder.
Lmfao. I think I have racing DNA lolololololllllollllllll
Old 03-18-2012, 06:30 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

There exists a disparity between those who fear the rain and those who love it. I have no problems with either approach. The fact that many more accidents occur during wet weather is a reason for concern for people of any philosophy.

No matter how comfortable you are in the rain, it has zero impact on the person who is uncomfortable traveling 65mph on bald tires 2 feet from you in the next lane over.

Quick Reply: Rain troubles