California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Radiator Cracked

Old 04-29-2009, 05:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine cracked as well and I just bought an aluminum one from mishimoto and installed it last week. It fit pretty well after a few very minor modifications. It was a snug fit but so far so good. I was going to get the koyo one but i heard you need to get the slim fans since the OEM ones don't fit.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vpxkid,Apr 29 2009, 06:47 PM
Mine cracked as well and I just bought an aluminum one from mishimoto and installed it last week. It fit pretty well after a few very minor modifications. It was a snug fit but so far so good. I was going to get the koyo one but i heard you need to get the slim fans since the OEM ones don't fit.
Incorrect. OEM fans fit perfectly. The Koyo requires no modications to work.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:48 AM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Ap1porVida,Apr 28 2009, 09:41 AM
What else could cause the radiator to crack?

I also just hit 100k.

Thanks for the input guys.
if you had the 90k service recently, then no water pump unless if its failing. check for it after your radiator's been replaced. if you run into coolant temp problems / overheating problems after the radiator's been replaced/ coolant flushed then you can look into it. for now, just source a radiator or find the leak and use something to seal up the leak. the radiator should still function normally even with the leak unless if its a huge leak.

however if you're overdue for the 90k, then it may be a good idea to get in there and get it over with so you're set for the next maintenance interval. the timing chain may not NEED replacing but it wouldn't be out of the ordinary to replace it for good measure along with the TCT(timing chain tensioner). dunno how much it'd be but i have an extra few lying around both AP1/2 not sure if theyre different.

radiator's don't crack on their own under normal conditions. Think about the radiator as just a tank full of coolant, as the coolant passes by the air passing through cools down the coolant, thats about all the radiator does so there's no reason it should crack/break. they usually last as long as the car, i've personally never ran into a cracked radiator problem. the only radiator related problem was on my prelude when the previous owner thought tap water was the equivalent to coolant, rusted enough to block coolant jackets on the block and to rot away at the top of the radiator causing the plastic to fall apart.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a used 2003 AP1 radiator with 54K miles on it. PM me if your interested. I'll sell it for pretty cheap and ship right way.