California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

questions regarding buying a s2k

Old 01-19-2010, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just spotted a decent looking s2k, the only problem is the brake light stayed on even after the owner changed the brakes.

do you guys have any ideas what that problem is?

is it a easy and cheap fix?
Old 01-20-2010, 11:14 AM
Former Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

^ there could be so many things wrong. Take it to a mechanic and have it properly checked out.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:11 PM

Sounds like there are tons of issues with this car, stay away
Old 01-20-2010, 12:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ace47,Jan 19 2010, 11:54 AM
i just spotted a decent looking s2k, the only problem is the brake light stayed on even after the owner changed the brakes.

do you guys have any ideas what that problem is?

is it a easy and cheap fix?
Could be the switch near the pedal needs adjustment.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:16 PM

hey guys

i test drove another s2k today, it was gorgeous!!! but something was fishy with his clutch and the shifter(or transmission)

every time when i floor the clutch all the way down, the clutch pedal doesn't pops out immediately. (he says he just replaced it at the honda dealer not long ago, and still has paper work)

also, when i shift to a 5 gear, the shifter vibrates.

can you guys tell me what it is?( i'm going to buy it if it's no problem. )

thank you
Old 01-23-2010, 10:52 PM

With those types of little issues, I'd still bring it to a mechanic to have them give you a better picture of the car's health 1 hour labor is cheaper than having to replace a tranny or clutch or something dealing with the hydraulic lines
Old 01-23-2010, 10:58 PM

thanks dude.
oh yeah, definitely. i would still take it to a shop if i discovered no problem myself. but if you all think or know this is a major problem, i would simply skip this car.

let me know guys. =]
Old 01-24-2010, 11:36 AM

dear mr. ace47,

grab an s2000. already.

yamez.

P.S.

just kidding! lol what i would do if i was 99.9% sure im going to take the car? imma take someone with me with ample knowledge about s2000s. i just want to make sure there is no MAJOR PROBLEMS WITH THE MOTOR. and from there on try to negotiate with the price reasoned out by itty bitty pieces that can/could be replaced (not for the weak heart. LOL)

of course we know that used cars will always needs replacing something.
and that brake light you said? i saw that gpw and test drove it.. like 2 years ago. stay away from it if were talking about the same car.

anyway, may the force be with you.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:40 PM

dudes!!! i drove another s2k and spent a 130 on a inspection and almost bought a s2k.

but the differential made a weird noise and the shifter vibrates when i shift to 5.

there is a crack on the differential, it has gotten loose but no leaks though, the mechanic told me it needs to be replaced (1300 to replace it) but nothing too major about it. the clutch spring is wearing out, so the clutch pedal feels sticky when it was pushed. generally the car is in good condition, (02, 80kmiles), one dent on the car, no scratches, no accidents, new tires, (but aftermarket exhaust that looks like the ap2 ones)he asked for 12grand, but he's lowest price is 10grand.

do you guys think it worth 10grand?

(i can't believe how hard it is to find a decent s2000 these days, i have looked everywhere in bayarea and drove nearly 10 already, but they all have some problems)

please let me know what you all think of that car
Old 01-25-2010, 12:13 AM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I would walk. The last thing you want to do is buy someone else's headache unless if you can identify it yourself and it's worth it to you. Couple of notes I had based on what I read and how I interpreted it.

1) If the diff is going out and you have a price of 1300 for repairs, add that to your total cost to reason the cost.

2) clutch springs as in the actual springs in the clutch? If so, you better be prepared to replace the clutch soon. Those spring's are heavy duty springs, they don't sag or deform. I'll bet that if it is what your mechanic diagnoses it as (related to the clutch disk/springs) that the spring actually cracked its way into the disk and the spring isn't seated the way it should be. I have a worn out OEM clutch disk from my prelude that is exactly that and it had the delayed clutch pedal you're describing before it completely went out.

3) add the cost of clutch replacement, differential replacement, and tax/fees/any expenses then total it up and weigh it against something else in the market. If you can save a substantial amount by buying this car, then it's a good idea. However, if there's a car for a couple of hundred dollars more which will be hassle-free, that's the route I would personally take. But then again that's coming from the guy who buys the cheapest s2k he can find so he has an excuse to tinker with it.

at any rate, good luck with whatever you decide.

Quick Reply: questions regarding buying a s2k