California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Questions about 00 and other years

Old 10-04-2004, 08:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about 00 and other years

I have heard that the 00, has more problems then any other year, is that true? About to purchase an 00 but dont know if I want it, might go for a diffrent year but this is such a sweet deal im getting.
Old 10-04-2004, 10:10 PM

I have an MY00 and a freaking love the car... However, I purchased it used and wasn't totally in love with it when I first got it. Here were some things that got me.

1. When I first got the car, the clutch had the ish beaten out of it... I only got ~5k miles before it took a big poop. Fortunately, this was a great opportunity to upgrade to an ACT Street/Race setup.... Flippin *great* clutch. I'm really happy I did that.

2. The tires that came with the car weren't S02's... the car drives really really scary-like without the right tires. If you've got the stock rims, make sure they've got S02's on em.

3. The 00 Strikers are crap. I need to replace mine, but I'm told that if the car has the extended warranty, the dealership will cover the price of the strikers.

4. There's a recall on the original Spark Plugs. Make sure you have the updated ones

5. The anti-freeze that's used in the MY00 S2000 only lasts for approximately 2 years. Make sure you got fresh stuff in there.

6. This model year has the plastic rear window, which could be good or bad. It's bad because it's plastic, so things show up distorted through it. It's good because it's larger than the glass window.

7. This model year also has a stereo that is extremely lackluster. Be prepared to upgrade the stereo.

Hmmmmm... that's about all I can think of... I'm sure there's more, but nothing totally major (besides the clutch, which really has to do w/ the previous driver).

Overall, an excellent deal (although I paid too much for mine used, but seriously, I love the car, so it's all worth it, I spose ) if you can get one for cheaper, lower-book, go for it!

!
Old 10-04-2004, 10:38 PM

thanks for the info
Old 10-05-2004, 07:17 AM

I have a MY00 bought new. In all the years of driving it (daily), I've never had any problems with the car. Sure, there were the few recalls (boot cover, seat belt, spark plug, and tail light), but none of them were significant to me. I've done some of the TSBs (deceleration buzz, top striker, hub nuts, and so on), but even those were not very significant. The bottom line is that if the car is well cared for, it should not have any problems. Good luck with your decisions.
Old 10-05-2004, 07:20 AM

Oh yeah... the recalled/replaced taillight lenses are badass... make sure ya do that too
Old 10-06-2004, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by jono,Oct 5 2004, 07:20 AM
Oh yeah... the recalled/replaced taillight lenses are badass... make sure ya do that too
yeah I heard about the tail lights fading, so how does this recall thing work (never had one) do I just take the tail lights to honda or is there a number I can call? (it would be sweet to get a fresh pair of breaklights for nothing )
Old 10-06-2004, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by yellowspeed408,Oct 6 2004, 12:13 AM
yeah I heard about the tail lights fading, so how does this recall thing work (never had one) do I just take the tail lights to honda or is there a number I can call? (it would be sweet to get a fresh pair of breaklights for nothing )
Basically if you are a registered owner of a car that falls under the recall, you would receive a recall notice directly from Honda. You then call your local Honda dealer service department and make an appointment to get the recall work done. You bring the recall notice with you to the appointment and they collect it so they can get reimbursed from Honda for the work.

If you bought the car used, then chances are Honda does not have you on their list of owners. You can call up your local Honda dealer sercice department, give them your car's VIN number, and they will look up what recalls are outstanding for it (and what recalls have already been done). If it has outstanding recalls, you can then make an appointment and take the car in to get the recall work done.

All very simple. You don't have to remove the tail lights yourself, they will do all that for you.
Old 10-07-2004, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by WhiteS2k,Oct 6 2004, 07:28 AM
Basically if you are a registered owner of a car that falls under the recall, you would receive a recall notice directly from Honda. You then call your local Honda dealer service department and make an appointment to get the recall work done. You bring the recall notice with you to the appointment and they collect it so they can get reimbursed from Honda for the work.

If you bought the car used, then chances are Honda does not have you on their list of owners. You can call up your local Honda dealer sercice department, give them your car's VIN number, and they will look up what recalls are outstanding for it (and what recalls have already been done). If it has outstanding recalls, you can then make an appointment and take the car in to get the recall work done.

All very simple. You don't have to remove the tail lights yourself, they will do all that for you.
sweet, thanks for "greatly appreciated" info