California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Question regarding Amsoil

Old 10-15-2013, 07:07 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Question regarding Amsoil

Probably a stupid question in general but I'm going to ask anyways because I'm usually pretty excessive with changing my oil especially before a trackday.. However after picking up some Amsoil and given the 25k guarantee I'm wondering how many miles most of you actually put on your cars with hard driving thrown into the mix.

Obviously I wouldn't think of pushing it to that kind of mileage, Especially since so far I typically burn maybe a quart every 1500-2000 miles. I just wouldn't want to waste the money that I spent on this stuff by doubting what I read on the back of a bottle and on forums.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

from me driving hard (for an ap1) before a catch can, i was burning roughly 2 quarts every oil change. oil was black by around 4000 miles. both tested on OEM and purolator filter.

after the catch can, i only burn about 1qrt.

this is all from mixed driving: cruising, vtec from gears 1-4, constant side-to-side turns, etc.

so in other words, if i baby the car i can make it to 5k. with hard driving, about 4k.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:23 PM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

You'll get many opinions on this, but as for me I usually go 5k between oil changes.

I use Mobil 1 as many others do on S2KI.

I'm not sure Amsoil is worth the premium price you have to pay ???

Personally I wouldn't go 12k between changes.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:43 PM

Yeah it's sort of an odd tradeoff if I don't use the Amsoil filter I assume. I use K&N because they are easy to get on and off and K&N has a good reputation. I only change it every OTHER oil change because I've read you can tach up to 10k on those things just fine so I'll put up to about 6-8k on mine before changing it out. If I can reduce my oil consumption just by using Amsoil I wouldn't mind changing my oil every 8-10k but I had just assumed it wouldn't be that great for the motor despite what Amsoil says.

They also claim from Amsoil that the motor itself will run 20% cooler as well. True or no? Who knows lol. That's cool that the catch can helped though, Some people have had luck with them and others not so much. I tried looking for a catch can that was reasonably priced but all I found was the baller shit. Couldn't justify a $200+ catch can, I'd rather DIY my own.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Thateguhate
Probably a stupid question in general but I'm going to ask anyways because I'm usually pretty excessive with changing my oil especially before a trackday.. However after picking up some Amsoil and given the 25k guarantee I'm wondering how many miles most of you actually put on your cars with hard driving thrown into the mix.

Obviously I wouldn't think of pushing it to that kind of mileage, Especially since so far I typically burn maybe a quart every 1500-2000 miles. I just wouldn't want to waste the money that I spent on this stuff by doubting what I read on the back of a bottle and on forums.
I just started using Amsoil in both my cars. It seems the oil stays cleaner longer. But this is just a visual and who knows what an actual oil analysis would outcome. I have driven about 8k in my Mini with Amsoil and the oil still looks good with zero burnt oil! I think I'm going to change it on the 10k mark. Be careful Amsoil says 25k life but I believe they recommend you change your oil filter in between changes.

Originally Posted by tkeyyy
from me driving hard (for an ap1) before a catch can, i was burning roughly 2 quarts every oil change. oil was black by around 4000 miles. both tested on OEM and purolator filter.

this is all from mixed driving: cruising, vtec from gears 1-4, constant side-to-side turns, etc.

so in other words, if i baby the car i can make it to 5k. with hard driving, about 4k.
Does that mean there is a quart in your catch can or does the catch can actually help prevent burnt/lost oil?
I need to install my catch can as I get blow by on high g turns on the track.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by nos4you
Originally Posted by Thateguhate' timestamp='1381892868' post='22829722

I just started using Amsoil in both my cars. It seems the oil stays cleaner longer. But this is just a visual and who knows what an actual oil analysis would outcome. I have driven about 8k in my Mini with Amsoil and the oil still looks good with zero burnt oil! I think I'm going to change it on the 10k mark. Be careful Amsoil says 25k life but I believe they recommend you change your oil filter in between changes.

Does that mean there is a quart in your catch can or does the catch can actually help prevent burnt/lost oil?
Good to know thanks. Did you use the Amsoil filter? I don't mind swapping a filter in if it means having cleaner oil considering the cost for the filter is cheaper than two quarts of oil.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nos4you
my car burns oil regardless due to the retainers needing to be swapped to ap2. i get about 1/8 of oil in the catch can. not exactly sure if it's helping preventing blow-by cause i smell oil when im engine braking
Old 10-15-2013, 09:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was running oem filter. I use Oem on all my vehicles.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only real way to know how much life you can squeeze out of a particular oil in your car with your driving habits is to get an oil analysis done. How many miles and how much track time do you have on your oil now?
Old 10-16-2013, 07:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nos4you' timestamp='1381898853' post='22829820
my car burns oil regardless due to the retainers needing to be swapped to ap2. i get about 1/8 of oil in the catch can. not exactly sure if it's helping preventing blow-by cause i smell oil when im engine braking
What do the retainers have to do with burning oil? Other than them being so loose that you're about to drop a valve.

Quick Reply: Question regarding Amsoil