California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

question from an out of towner

Old 08-10-2010, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question from an out of towner

hey guys! so i live in orlando FL right now but it looks like i'll be moving to Berkely next summer. i'm originally from Oakland but have lived here most of my life. just wondering what the deal is with the emissions laws out there and how or if you guys get around it. just wanna get things straight before i make the move out there. thanks for any info!
Old 08-10-2010, 10:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what do you specifically want to know about emissions besides how they're super strict?
Old 08-10-2010, 11:06 AM

i was just wondering if it's basically impossible to run an after market exhaust out there. a friend of mine used to live up north and he told me that he went to a shop that was certified to do the emissions tests, made friends with them, and when the time came to get the car checked out they would just write it off for him. don't know how i always see cars out in cali running after market exhausts when it's so damn strict out there. i'm just wondering if i'll need to buy a stock exhaust or if i can keep my Tanabe cat-back.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:20 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by johny_tron,Aug 10 2010, 11:06 AM
i was just wondering if it's basically impossible to run an after market exhaust out there. a friend of mine used to live up north and he told me that he went to a shop that was certified to do the emissions tests, made friends with them, and when the time came to get the car checked out they would just write it off for him. don't know how i always see cars out in cali running after market exhausts when it's so damn strict out there. i'm just wondering if i'll need to buy a stock exhaust or if i can keep my Tanabe cat-back.
tons of people run aftermarket exhaust without any emission issues.

if ur smog test is due, and you have a test pipe, just swap it with an OEM cat for the test and swap it back after you pass
Old 08-10-2010, 11:28 AM

i've still got a cat right now but i plan on buying the J's 70RR exhaust which is a one piece titanium exhaust that is a header-back. impossible to use a cat with the exhaust. would my only option be to swap that whole exhaust out with an OEM one so i can pass the test? sorry to be a pain in the ass, i just wanna know what's in store for me once i make the move. thanks again!
Old 08-10-2010, 11:34 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

if that setup didnt pass smog, then yes you're only solution would be to swap for OEM for the test, and swap back after complete.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:38 AM

ok cool. thanks for the help! looking forward to meeting everyone next summer. i'm pretty sure i'll have a garage to keep the S safe over night. i'm hoping theft isn't too bad in the Berkely area. it sucks over here in FL.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:47 AM

Berkeley is far too close to Oakland for my tastes. I wouldn't drive my S into Berkeley unless I knew the car would be safe. Forget about parking it on the street...
Old 08-10-2010, 12:30 PM

berk pd is pretty active especially on the main streets of berkeley. in that area, i would run a hfc over tp/headerback and keep the revs down on a loud exhaust
Old 08-10-2010, 12:54 PM

good to know. i'll be staying with some of my moms friends. i believe she said they live in the uplands. last time i was there was in 2006 for my cousins wedding. once i get on my feet i'll try to get my own place. finishing up college for an EMT program next semester. hoping to get a job asap

Quick Reply: question from an out of towner