California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

PSA

Old 10-03-2011, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rain sucks because I can't drive as fast as I usually do. Guess I'll have to drive like an old man until I get used to how the car reacts in adverse weather...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Old 10-04-2011, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by HarryD
I drove really slowly on my new foursome of Continental DW...

Felt OK (?), but my tires slipped from a [slow] first gear start from a red light. Not sure--is that normal with RWD in the rain?
Wait, I thought the continentals were supposed to be good in the wet?! I was just about to put money on a set for my car a well...
Old 10-04-2011, 09:30 AM

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by DaPhatty
Originally Posted by HarryD' timestamp='1317688238' post='21036378

Felt OK (?), but my tires slipped from a [slow] first gear start from a red light. Not sure--is that normal with RWD in the rain?
Wait, I thought the continentals were supposed to be good in the wet?! I was just about to put money on a set for my car a well...
They're supposed to be CRAZY good in the wet. I mean look at the big rain channels in the middle.

I've only taken them up to 40 on surface streets and it was stable... Too scared to drive on the freeway during pouring rain yet, but that's because I'm a RWD newb.

My rears only slipped at a red light when I went into first to launch--I'm not sure if it was just me being too heavy on the throttle or if that's normal for RWD.

Otherwise great tires. Dry traction is pretty close to PS2's I've heard and the price difference doesn't justify the small performance difference.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:49 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by HarryD
Originally Posted by DaPhatty' timestamp='1317715907' post='21037213
[quote name='HarryD' timestamp='1317688238' post='21036378']

They're supposed to be CRAZY good in the wet. I mean look at the big rain channels in the middle.

I've only taken them up to 40 on surface streets and it was stable... Too scared to drive on the freeway during pouring rain yet, but that's because I'm a RWD newb.

My rears only slipped at a red light when I went into first to launch--I'm not sure if it was just me being too heavy on the throttle or if that's normal for RWD.

Otherwise great tires. Dry traction is pretty close to PS2's I've heard and the price difference doesn't justify the small performance difference.
[/quote]
Practice makes perfect, but probably a good idea to wait for all the oil and residuals to wash off the pavement before practicing.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by eklipz98
Originally Posted by slightly2ned' timestamp='1317689218' post='21036413
Im wondering how bad the conditions are up on 35 & 9 in this kind of weather. 35 gets really foggy...

Casey, can you chime in? I usually get off at 5 or 6pm & was thinking of doing it in the rain.
As you know, I've spent years commuting up/down 84, across 35, and up/down Alpine.

Driving in the rain is fine, it's a good way to test your skills as far as knowing how the car behaves. Bald rear tires in the S, in the rain, on mountain roads with lots of debris is like driving on ice. Sure you still can go "within your limits" at a pace that is probably quicker than the average commuter.

Sometimes you gotta go what you gotta do. Would I take extra recreational drives in the rain/wet as opposed to necessary commutes. The answer is yes. But I'm a little wacky...
I was stuck in stupid traffic on 280S for 1.5 hrs for a 15mi commute. Going to hit the mountains instead next time. Thanks Casey!
Old 10-04-2011, 03:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by eklipz98
Originally Posted by HarryD' timestamp='1317749416' post='21038519
[quote name='DaPhatty' timestamp='1317715907' post='21037213']
[quote name='HarryD' timestamp='1317688238' post='21036378']

[/quote]
Practice makes perfect, but probably a good idea to wait for all the oil and residuals to wash off the pavement before practicing.
[/quote]
Perfect practice makes perfect
Old 10-04-2011, 04:01 PM

Continental DW's are one of the best tire for the rain. I've done multiple auto-x's in the rain with them and as long as your on a high grip surface, i.e. concrete, they have incredible grip. On asphalt, they still grip well but not as good. Freeway on ramps with them in the rain are a non worry ordeal, acceleration with them is almost flat out without wheel spin unless the rear of the car gets unweighted.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:49 PM

For what it's worth, I had Continental sport contact 2s on my last car. They had nice wet traction, but I didn't like the tire life on them.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Old 10-04-2011, 08:25 PM

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by chetly
Continental DW's are one of the best tire for the rain. I've done multiple auto-x's in the rain with them and as long as your on a high grip surface, i.e. concrete, they have incredible grip. On asphalt, they still grip well but not as good. Freeway on ramps with them in the rain are a non worry ordeal, acceleration with them is almost flat out without wheel spin unless the rear of the car gets unweighted.
Thanks, I'm a little less stressed about driving wet after reading your post (and the similar ones on TireRack).

I got these tires specifically for my first rainy season, so lets hope I survive it
Old 10-04-2011, 09:46 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Voodoo_S2K
Originally Posted by eklipz98' timestamp='1317768598' post='21039658
Perfect practice makes perfect

Perfectly good practice perfects the practice of being perfect when you practice.

Quick Reply: PSA