California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

prepurchase inspection

Old 11-12-2013, 10:38 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Voodoo_S2K
I think it is hard to get any seller to spend the time to drive 90 minutes round trip + time spent waiting for the inspection to be done unless we are talking about a very expensive car, so personally I wouldn't read too much into it. Unfortunately there aren't any shops in the area I can recommend, so your best bet is to probably have Santa Cruz Honda take a look at it.
This.

I personally wouldn't waste my time unless you put a few grand in my hand with an agreement signed.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ yea you 2 pretty much got it spot on. the 90 min round trip + the hour inspection + working around the schedule of the shop that is a few cities away isn't much of an option for most people who are not retired and sitting around doing nothing. Problem with the bay area is that everything on the market locally are either marked up an extra 2-3k (those who been watching CL probably seen those $14-$18k salvage titled s2ks) or have modifications that would cost an extra 2-3k to return to stock if it is even possible (hellaflush?) After a month of searching I almost want to "settle" for this car if there is nothing mechanically wrong with it but like youmna said, there should be more to pick from after the rain starts pouring. Thanks for all the info. If someone does know a shop in the area, it would be a good reference for any future situations that might require it, but otherwise, it is not urgent to me personally anymore atm.

Side note, how many think it would be a good idea to have a contract saying something along the lines of "I'll buy the car if it checks out for inspection + I'll cover gas/fees, but if the car fails (or does not meet agreed condition) then the seller covers the fee and his own gas." It seems like it would weed out anyone who is attempting to hide anything since they will lose out on ~$150 on the inspection. Do you think it will scare away most sellers?
Old 11-12-2013, 11:35 AM

Blacktrax is worth the drive for peace of mind. I highly recommend you go there, worth it for you and for the seller, if he wants a good price and has nothing to hide...he should be amicable to it.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:36 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by peelz510
^ yea you 2 pretty much got it spot on. the 90 min round trip + the hour inspection + working around the schedule of the shop that is a few cities away isn't much of an option for most people who are not retired and sitting around doing nothing. Problem with the bay area is that everything on the market locally are either marked up an extra 2-3k (those who been watching CL probably seen those $14-$18k salvage titled s2ks) or have modifications that would cost an extra 2-3k to return to stock if it is even possible (hellaflush?) After a month of searching I almost want to "settle" for this car if there is nothing mechanically wrong with it but like youmna said, there should be more to pick from after the rain starts pouring. Thanks for all the info. If someone does know a shop in the area, it would be a good reference for any future situations that might require it, but otherwise, it is not urgent to me personally anymore atm.

Side note, how many think it would be a good idea to have a contract saying something along the lines of "I'll buy the car if it checks out for inspection + I'll cover gas/fees, but if the car fails (or does not meet agreed condition) then the seller covers the fee and his own gas." It seems like it would weed out anyone who is attempting to hide anything since they will lose out on ~$150 on the inspection. Do you think it will scare away most sellers?
At best you would get your deposit back. The fee cost and gas is cheap compared to buying a problem.

How much is the car and what is the mileage?
Old 11-12-2013, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by peelz510
Inspection costs should always be covered by the buyer, even if you don't buy the car. Expecting the seller to cover that doesn't make any sense; if you think there is a chance that the car won't meet expectations why are you getting inspected in the first place? Also keep in mind that an inspection- even by a reputable shop- is no guarantee that you won't have issues in the future.