California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

prepurchase inspection

Old 11-11-2013, 03:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default prepurchase inspection

Hi, I have been looking at an s2000 that is located in santa cruz. I was wondering if there is a reputable shop to have a prepurchase inspection done. The carfax is clean but the autocheck shows a minor accident. I know blacktrax is highly recommended on here but the owner is not quite willing to make the 40minute trip to Milpitas. I ran a few searches and only a few places showed up on the internet though none seem to be up to Blacktrax's standards for the inspection (from the reviews from yelp or checklist on listed on the shops website). I would hope the diy checklist posted in the sticky on this forums is enough but a professional inspection does give a sense of security. Thanks for any recommendations.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:17 PM

I wish I could help you but good luck with purchase and enjoy the s.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

buying an s2000:

show up
s2000
bought
????
profit
Old 11-11-2013, 09:15 PM

^ Sorry, I don't understand what you are trying to say.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:18 PM

Honestly, if you are really looking for a peace of mind I say pay the owner gas or what not to have him go to Milpitas. If he/she is confident on the car's integrity, and it would lead to a promising sale why wouldn't the owner do it? If seller refuses, then I say just wait for the next one. There are many s2000 out there, I waited at least 6 months to find the I actually purchase.

Good luck with your search...
Old 11-11-2013, 10:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Snisen2.2L
Honestly, if you are really looking for a peace of mind I say pay the owner gas or what not to have him go to Milpitas. If he/she is confident on the car's integrity, and it would lead to a promising sale why wouldn't the owner do it? If seller refuses, then I say just wait for the next one. There are many s2000 out there, I waited at least 6 months to find the I actually purchase.

Good luck with your search...
i don't think the seller is worried about the gas money. stepping out on the edge and possibly waste his time is probably their concern. but who knows, maybe they're hiding something
Old 11-12-2013, 05:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it is hard to get any seller to spend the time to drive 90 minutes round trip + time spent waiting for the inspection to be done unless we are talking about a very expensive car, so personally I wouldn't read too much into it. Unfortunately there aren't any shops in the area I can recommend, so your best bet is to probably have Santa Cruz Honda take a look at it.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:24 AM

thanks for the responses. i'll probably pass on this one. the owner did not even know there was an accident (or so he says) until i sent him my copy of the autocheck. he only had the carfax in hand which didnt have it listed. been seeing more and more coming up for sale lately. only problem is that every one i see has a nice fat "bay area premium" attached to the price.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:25 AM

If you can, wait a month or two, until it gets cold. I bought my car in late January, right around the time people got tired of their convertibles and their lack of good insulation, and got my car at a cheaper price than I would have during the summer or around this time of year.

The price will go down as people forget the warmer, sunnier weather.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:09 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I hope someone local to Santa Cruz and just recommend a legit shop to get inspected at.

Quick Reply: prepurchase inspection