California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Prepping for first track day - Shop Suggestions?

Old 10-27-2009, 11:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prepping for first track day - Shop Suggestions?

I'm participating in my first ever track day at Infineon on November 7th and so I've decided to get some work done on the S. Some of the work I'd like done is preventative and some is necessary. My trusty automotive shop has quoted me a price which frankly is a bit outside of my budget. Can any of you guys recommend a trustworthy shop in either the southbay or peninsula area that does quality work and doesn't charge a premium?

I know I'm asking for a golden goose but I thought I'd give it a shot. Worst case, I'll just suck it up and go with my usual shop. They really are a top notch shop and have the best customer service I've ever dealt with. I just need to keep the expenses within my budget.

Thanks in advance!

- Rob

In case anyone is interested, here is the breakdown of the work I would like to have done and the associated costs.

Front Brake Pads replaced - parts ($50) and labor (the rest) ~ $180
Rear Brake Pads replaced - parts ($50) and labor (the rest) ~ $180
Brake Fluid flushed and replaced with DOT4 - parts ($25) and labor ($75) ~ $100
Rear Tires Replaced, Mounted, and Balanced - tires + parts ($450) and labor ($50) ~ $500

The cost of new tires and the brake system flush are pretty reasonable
Old 10-27-2009, 12:00 PM

save some from tires to brake pads.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy the parts yourself, and hit up -Outkast- to do the work. He can do pretty much everything you listed except mount and balance the tires.
Old 10-27-2009, 02:16 PM

Those prices don't mean much unless you tell us what pads and tires you're getting for that price.

That's a lot of labor for replacing pads I think, unless he's replacing rotors -- and while $50 for a set of pads might get you by for your first track day, if you get into it, you're probably going to want to upgrade to a pad more suited for driving at the track -- those are certainly going to be a lot more than $50 for an axle set.
Old 10-27-2009, 04:51 PM

I guess I was a bit vague on the parts. I decided to run stock AP1 pads all around, replace my rear Bridgestone RE 050s, and upgrade to DOT4 brake fluid (still haven't settled on which brand yet). Since this will likely be my one and only time out on the track, I ultimately decided not to get too crazy with track specific parts. The brake fluid upgrade should help with the extra work my brakes will be expected to do. The pads should keep the same "feel" while minimizing any rotor warping that could potentially occur. And the tires, well, I like the way they feel up on Highway 35.

Now, if I do get hooked... I sure hope my wallet can handle it!
Old 10-28-2009, 11:15 AM

Try Acutech, they can do all of that and you can ask for a quote over the phone. I would also try to learn to do these items yourself (except for the tire change) because it's all pretty easy. Especially if you're thinking of getting this done often. $130 is a lot of labor to change some pads especially if they're not resurfacing the rotor or changing that as well.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:55 AM

Joey, Its2krazy, can order you all that stuff and do the installs
Old 10-28-2009, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by lilazngrl4o8,Oct 27 2009, 01:22 PM
Buy the parts yourself, and hit up -Outkast- to do the work. He can do pretty much everything you listed except mount and balance the tires.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by DaPhatty,Oct 27 2009, 04:51 PM
I guess I was a bit vague on the parts. I decided to run stock AP1 pads all around, replace my rear Bridgestone RE 050s, and upgrade to DOT4 brake fluid (still haven't settled on which brand yet). Since this will likely be my one and only time out on the track, I ultimately decided not to get too crazy with track specific parts. The brake fluid upgrade should help with the extra work my brakes will be expected to do. The pads should keep the same "feel" while minimizing any rotor warping that could potentially occur. And the tires, well, I like the way they feel up on Highway 35.

Now, if I do get hooked... I sure hope my wallet can handle it!
If your pads aren't bad, I would wait until after the day before I change them out. I've tracked 3 of the 5 s2000s I've owned on stock pads and as long as you keep yourself under control, they're fine. I had better luck with the stock pads than the Modulo sport pads even. Since you are going to put so much wear on them at the track day, just burn up the pads you have. (assuming they're over 50%.)
Old 10-28-2009, 01:25 PM

Unfortunately, my pads do need to be replaced. I have a feeling these are the same pads that came with the car when the first owner bought it. (Car had 11k miles when I bought it four months ago.) Also, the NASA tech inspector immediately called out my rear brake pads during the inspection so yea, this work is a must.

Quick Reply: Prepping for first track day - Shop Suggestions?