California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Possible Move to SF

Old 01-12-2012, 07:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Possible Move to SF

Hello all.

First off, my gf & I were in SF during the holidays and I must say SF is beautiful!! I've been there once before, but I was too young to appreciate what a great city SF really is. I now have gold fever and I am thinking of moving to SF for a year or two. Now the question is, can I find a decent apartment for around $1500 - $2000 in SF? That is all I can realistic afford at the moment, as I have a mortgage back east. My only criteria is that it must be in the city of SF (preferably near the financial center). I don't need anything fancy. Is it possible?

Thanks!
Old 01-12-2012, 07:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can try this site:
Http://livelovely.com
It just launched not too long ago...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
Old 01-12-2012, 09:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i made a recent move to the city (with a mortgage also in santa clara) and had a lot of the same questions you had. i also recently helped my gf move up here to the pacific heights area so i'm pretty well versed in the apt hunt.

i live in the SOMA (south of market) area, specifically south beach right by the ballpark. it takes me 13 minutes to walk to work (financial district) or about a 10 minute train (muni) ride. i'm in a 2 bedroom apt with views of the bay bridge and ballpark and my share is just under $2000/month (includes private garaged parking for the S for $225). with that said, your budget's realistic for a good place in most parts of the city. there are also definitely some shady parts of the city that have nice listings, so i guess once you find something, i'd say post it up here for feedback since it's tough to gauge the safety of an area through the internet. i'm checking out the livelovely site and it looks pretty good, but i'd be worried about how dated the postings are. craigslist is your best bet for an all encompassing look at the current listings, but it's tough to do so if you're not local.

i guess my suggestion (similar to a friend i made while he was apt hunting and i was roommate hunting) is to line up as many appointments as you can in a given week, and take a week off to come here to do your search and knock out everything. with apts though, people don't plan that much, so expect listing for availabilities to come up less than 30 days from expected move in.

if you're moving with your girlfriend, i'd highly suggest looking at a loft (mostly in the SOMA area). they've redone a lot of new, nice looking ones that can be had for under $3000 total ($1500/person if you split with the gf). most of these also include parking and have multiple levels and a huge living space. this is what i'm looking forward to in a few years if me and my gf get more serious.

feel free to PM or e-mail me if you have anymore questions...would love to help