California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Possible Job Opportunity in Vacaville

Old 09-26-2006, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible Job Opportunity in Vacaville

Hi Everyone,

From the UMW here. But I may have the opportunity to join a company that is out in Vacaville.

I'm just trying to gauge what is out there in terms of living situations.

I've tried to gather what I could using realtor.com and city data of surrounding areas etc...

But any help is appreciated.

I'm 24, rather metropolitan but don't have to be IN the city so to speak. I've looked into areas such as Oakland(although this distance is probably a stretch in terms of commuting), Hercules, Or even areas around Sacramento. Again, I don't really know the area and would like any kind of input as to where a good place to live would be.

- Safe - For me and my S =)
- Not too far from Vacaville(if possible a 30 min commute or less)
- Renting would be ok too, but would be looking probably for a condo under $350 K

Well, I'm probably jumping the gun here by even talking about this(was hoping more for a position in So. SF, but you just never know what opportunities will come up and when), as I don't even have the job. But I want to know what living in the area would be like.

Thanks for the input guys.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:41 PM

Also I realize that Vacaville is probably closer to Sacramento, but thought I might get a larger response by posting in here. Mods if you think it needs to be moved, then its fine by me. Thanks.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:50 PM

Received 1,566 Likes on 1,437 Posts

For day-to-day, I'd reccommend living on the Vacaville side of the bridge(s). I live in San Jose, but have spent some time in Benicia, and thought it nice. You might also be able to live in Napa.

The good news: you're out of the ridiculous rent zone.
The bad news: compared to the UMW, it'll probably still seem ridiculous.
The good news: from Vacaville, there's lots of incredible driving
Old 09-26-2006, 04:52 PM

Wink

If you are planning to work in Vacaville, it might be a good idea to also look around for places to live in that city. You mentioned that you want to live somewher safe for you and your S. Oakland (unfortunately) shouldn't be at the top of your "safe places to live" list. You should know that by now if you listen to gangsta rap at all.

Another thing to consider is that if you live in Oakland, Hercules, or Concord, you will have to deal with the Benecia Bridge. In addition to paying $3 toll every single day, it's quite a h*llish commute (both north- and southbound).
Old 09-26-2006, 05:04 PM

stay in vacaville, lots of newer communities there and housing is a little cheaper since its 60 miles from the city. also look in dixon and davis area, closer to sac.

my guess is youre taking a job at Gennentech? coz thats the only big company there that you would consider moving to vacaville for....

i live 10 minutes from vacaville.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:27 PM

All good insight thus far. Thanks all.

Well right now its more just research and thought. I haven't been offered anything. I was just referred by an old manager who is over there now and would like the chance to live the Cali life for a bit.

Yes the position is with Genentech.

Well the UMW in general is much cheaper than CA, but compared to where I live, I'm going to end up trading in like half of my square footage for like double the price....

But we'll see what happens.

The good driving bit seems enticing..... =)

We have crappy driving in the Chicago land area.... The corners here consist of highway on/off ramps....
Old 09-26-2006, 06:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tcho82,Sep 26 2006, 06:27 PM

We have crappy driving in the Chicago land area.... The corners here consist of highway on/off ramps....
Reminds me of a funny quote from a friend back in my motorcylce riding days that was from Chicago.

"Your freeways are twistier than our tightest twisties."
Old 09-26-2006, 07:31 PM

Vacaville is a good place to stay and work. I live in Fairfield(15 minutes away) but I work for a Corporate company in Vacaville. Hey if you do move out here with your S your more then welcome to join us on our way to the friday night meets in Milpitas. A bunch of us meet at Krispy Kreme in Concord and then we head out to the meet. I think you will like it in Vacaville. Give it a try!
Old 09-26-2006, 08:11 PM

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Congrats. Genentech is a great company. They just had a 30 year anniversary party in SSF. They got the Foo Fighters, Bob Dillan, Black Eyed Peas and the Eagles to play on the campus. I used to work there from 1992-1999 and now I am part of Amgen after they assimilated us (Abgenix) earlier this year. Anyways, my friend still works at Genentech in SSF but has to travel to Vacaville once in awhile. Nice facility and they are expanding. I'm guessing you are starting in Manufacturing or Purification.

btw, we have lots of openings at Amgen Fremont.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:53 PM

Wink

^ Fremont is a nice place to live, too, if you can afford it.

But I would only consider it if you get a job in Fremont instead of Vacaville. LOL

Quick Reply: Possible Job Opportunity in Vacaville