California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Possible future owner of an s2k

Old 08-07-2008, 08:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible future owner of an s2k

Well here goes my first post

So for the past few weeks, I've allotted most of my free time to researching many cars that appeal to me. So far, most of the time has been going towards s2000s. I will be going to college next year, but I may get a car as soon as a couple of months. The cars I have been looking into include: s2k, rsx type-s, 350z, rx-8, and prelude, ranked in order from what I think I want. Of course, the best thing would be to go and test drive them all, but I would like input from fellow s2k owners, especially ones in the bay area.

Before anyone starts using the word spoiled, I would like to clarify myself. My parents are willing to pay half of the total, which we are trying to keep around $11-$13k (nothing more than $15k), meaning they will pay $3000-$3500 each (they are divorced). That's the major reason why I'm looking at cars to purchase around winter time.. because the prices will hopefully drop.

As far as my driving goes, I am fairly confident that I can handle the s2k. I don't own a manual car, but I do know how to drive one. I am a very mature and alert driver and I have gotten myself out of many sticky situations. My friends who drive manual often commend me for how safe I make them feel. So I think in a week's worth of practice (as well as some track time I'm looking forward to), driving it will become second nature. I'm only worried about how it will handle in the rain. I do plan on changing the tires to something more suitable in the rain.

Now I would like to hear your thoughts on the practicality of a car like the s2k for college. I am a UC-bound student (albeit not the top UCs), and I was wondering how concerned I should be regarding theft/vandalism. I realize college is no place for nice cars, but neither is high school, and there a few nice cars that have had no problem. I am also considering Cal Poly SLO and the Air Force Academy as colleges. If the latter, I will probably sell my car after my senior year in high school, but the academy was just a thought, not really my plan. I will be taking many precautions such as installing hood and seat locks, an aftermarket alarm with pager, engine kill switches, lojack or gps locator, etc. since I live in Fremont currently. I believe the SF/Oakland/Fremont area is rank #5 in the U.S. with the most auto thefts.

I plan on sharing an apartment meaning it will be parked in some kind of apartment complex. Whether it is indoor or in a parking structure I have no clue. My dad, who has been covering my insurance for now will initially put the car as his weekend car with me as secondary, because I don't plan on driving it more than once or twice a week while I'm still in high school. The plan was to have only liability coverage, though. But the more I think about it, would comprehensive coverage actually be a better idea? When I become the primary driver, the insurance rate will be much more, so will it be worth it in case something bad happens?

Now.. as far as fitting more people, moving more things, and luxuries, I don't see myself really needing it. Even now in high school, where some of my friends don't even drive thus needing rides, I find myself rarely giving rides to more than one person, if that even. Only on occasional trips like great america will we carpool where I'm usually the driver. With that said, I do see the use of having more seats, which is why I initially planned on getting the rx8, until I saw how hard it was to maintain, and the grief that repairs could bring me. Not only that, but the mpg was awful. The rsx type-s is just something I thought of today. I have not been looking into it at all, other than my friends telling me it is very different compared to the s2k and is more like a prelude/civic coupe.

I consider myself a driving enthusiast (well maybe not now), and by that I mean I love the thrills and every aspect of driving. When I see videos and pictures of people driving their s2ks (especially with other s2ks) in canyons, mountain passes, open roads, and of course the tracks, it sends a tingle through my spine. Sure I could get a practical car like a honda fit with this kind of money, but it will never put a smile on my face like the s2k would. The s2k is on the other end of the spectrum though.

Will the s2k be too unpractical and a bulls eye for thieves? Is the rsx even a worse car to get than the s2k since thieves love cars like that? Should I somehow try to find a cheap 350z (First year production ) that will be less likely to get broken in to, and possibly offer more comfort than the s2k? Will it be too much for me to handle? Should I take a gamble and go with the rx-8? Or like the rsx, should I hope thieves don't find me and get a prelude that will offer a bit of fun?

Thanks for reading my little essay that I have here , and any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:15 PM

ima tell you right now if you have an s2k your going to need a DD cuz the car IS NOT PRACATICAL AT ALL, but i love my car thats why i got rid of the G35
Old 08-07-2008, 08:17 PM

not practical unless you have a garage and a DD. Plus if you're going to school in SF you better know how to parallel park and drive on hilly streets.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:25 PM

Not practical for a college DD car. Can't store crap in the trunk if you're moving stuff or even if you're just taking a vacation.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:40 PM

I beat the crap out of my RX-8 everytime I drive it--there's something about the 9500rpm redline. I've never had a single maintenance problem (knock on dead protoplasm). My only problem with this car is the gas mileage.

My suggestion is to dump that money in some investment like the stock market--there's a lot of bargains now--go to college, get laid, finish college, cash out your investment for that new super-hybrid sports car....blah blah blah.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:41 PM

My .02...

I owned an s2000 for awhile and loved its agility and nimble nature. I plan to own one again after my current cars are paid off.
I ended up trading in my s2000 for a 350z and haven't regretted the decision since. IMO the Z is a better everyday car. It may not be the corner carver that the s2k is but at the same time I feel it is a better everyday car while still being able to turn in a similar lap time.

One of the main reasons I finally made the switch is i started to have back problems which i'm pretty convinced that the ergonomics, seating position, and unbolstered seats of the s2000 contributed too. Its definitely below the Z in the creature comfort dept.

I'm not lobbying for you to buy a Z by any means. I'm simply throwing it out there that the S is not the most comfortable car and I personally wouldn't own one as my only car. Its a helluva fun play time toy but not the proverbial basket I'd put my eggs in.

When I do buy another S i'll definitely be changing the seats out the very next day.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:47 PM

Buy a beater. Conentrate on school. And when you graduate buy the S2000.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:52 PM

As a college student in SF myself, i'd just like to say that i have never been able to drive my S2000 to school. I always ride my bike or drive my DD integra for the reason that i've seen many accidents in the school parking lot and people doing hit n run while parallel parking on the street around school

If you buy a s2000, you're going to need a DD

although i can't say the same will happen in SLO calpoly

this is just my .02
Old 08-07-2008, 09:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd put the following in consideration:

Gas vs milage - You're not going to get a lot

Insurance - Expensive, unless your parents are paying for this?

Maintenance - You need to keep up with the maintenance, and if something breaks it can get costly.

Modifications - Not cheap, not even the knock off parts are cheap.

Space - You can barely fit anything in a box inside the trunk & the passenger side seat cant hold that much.

Parking - Parking in parking lots daily will grant you dents which are not cheap to remove. I dont know what the parking situation is like at your target school, but if youre like me & some of the other people here; dents is an absolute no-no.

Summary:

If you have the money to keep up with the car & you dont mind the limited space & risk of the car getting stolen (high risk these days)...

Then go for it! Besides, you'll get more attention from the girls (if this is one of your motives), guys & haters--now who doesnt want that?
Old 08-07-2008, 09:38 PM

for the age you are at right now... insurance will kill you.. im 18 and my insurance is boning me hard. if you have 15k to use i say buy an rsx-s .. due to the fact that you can buy one thats in good condition rather then buying a high mile or even salvaged title s2k(not saying all of them are like that, that are selling for 15 grand)... the rsx does give decent gas mileage, more practical, something you can still get off the line with, i-vtec, all the goodies. I was originally going to get an rsx-s, but when i saw the s2000 on the lot.. it boned me like how insurance bones me.

Quick Reply: Possible future owner of an s2k