California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Pondering a hardtop...

Old 04-17-2011, 07:14 PM

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Pondering a hardtop...

Well, this morning I finally had my first "ah f@#k" moment with the S. After I parked the car in the garage, I had a gut feeling to inspect the condition of my soft top. Low and behold, I spotted a VERY small tear (probably 2-3mm in length) around the passenger side latch. Now I'm tinkering with the idea of getting a hardtop for the S. Unfortunately, money IS an issue, and there is no way I can afford a brand new oem hardtop.

My question to you hardtop owners is, dollar for dollar, minus the oem honda hardtop and mugen hardtop, what is the best fitting hardtop out there for the best price? If I were to take the plunge on a hardtop, my budget would be in the neighborhood of $1500-2000.

Side question: How long until the tear gets bigger?

Thanks in advance guys. Appreciated.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:21 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I noticed a similar tear on my baby about 2 weeks ago.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you cam get a used oem hardtop for about $2000

cheapest is a used mugen replica ~$1500
Old 04-17-2011, 07:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, considering you can't buy a brand new OEM hardtop anymore, I'd say your budget is about right. The average price for an OEM is $2200 so if you save up the extra couple hundred, you'd be fine.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:53 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Prices on an oem top recently went up, how i do not know.

I sold my nfr hardtop quick for 2500.

best bet is to buy an oem top

no wind noise
never lose value
perfect vision in the back
PERFECT fitment
etc.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:40 PM

Regarding the hole, that type of hole can be caused by worn out elastic straps. When the straps go bad, the bar in the top isn't pulled back when the top lowers, and the bar ends up pushing up into your top which pushes the top into the strikers, eventually causing a hole near the striker.

Check out this link for pics of the bar and replacement straps:

http://www.modifry.com/products/ctf/details.htm

If this is indeed your problem, you can push that bar back with your hand as the top is opening, and at least help prevent further wear until you get the straps fixed.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:34 PM

By the way, you might be able to patch the hole with this stuff:

http://www.amazon.com/Tear-Aid-Repai.../dp/B001U6Q0BG

I've never used it myself but I looked a demo piece they had in the store and it seemed to be really strong.

Sorry to go on about your side question but you may also want to check the spots above the driver's left shoulder and passenger's right shoulder for holes. Here's a pic of a patch I put up in a common wear point where a little hole was starting to develop:

http://s1238.photobucket.com/albums/...ar-drivers.jpg

If you find a hole there, or even to help prevent one, you could probably use that Tear Aid stuff, or what I used was some sticky felt from Michael's craft store.

Here's another common spot to check:

http://s1238.photobucket.com/albums/...ch-drivers.jpg

There may be others too, but these were the ones that have been applicable to my top.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:44 PM

OEM FTW, it holds it value, and you don't have to deal with fitment issues. It's made of aluminum and allows better view (bigger rear window). Also, you can get one with OEM factory paint.

I notice you have a sebring silver s2000, and I happen to have an oem hardtop in sebring silver fs....hmmm..
Old 04-17-2011, 10:27 PM

The OEM hardtop has no fitment issues and comes perfectly color matched if you're able to buy one that matches your paint code. However, I'm almost positive any high end hardtop (Mugen, Amuse) will also fit perfectly, but those are probably out of your price range. If you opt for an imitation (VIS, Seibon), fitment can be either hit or miss. If you plan on going for the latter, ask the seller if you can test fit the hardtop on your car first before making a purchase.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:23 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

oem is excellent

otherwise, vis replica

Quick Reply: Pondering a hardtop...