California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Police Chase

Old 02-22-2014, 09:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Police Chase

Last night around 12 am in Vallejo, I was driving and noticed a lot of police in the area. I thought nothing of it.. maybe an emergency call. So I was cruising... then all of a sudden the cops stop in the middle of the road. I start to slow down as I see an on coming car coming towards me full throttle in my lane. In my head "what is happening, why is this car going towards me with no lights on" then I immediately turn right into a fence to avoid a head on collision with this mad man. Turns out the cops were chasing a guy who stole a car. He sped by nearly hitting me, crashed down the road into a tree and ran with his gun. Cops caught him. And now Im left with a wrecked front end. Front bumper, passenger headlight, and passenger fender needs to be replaced. And some body work.. frame is ok.

Now my question is...... How do I go about and getting this fix without me going out of pocket? The police officer gave me the case number, badge number, and name. What sucks is... I lost my job so I had to put my car on liability. Can anybody give me some advice on what actions I should take?

Old 02-22-2014, 09:40 PM

I'm not sure since I'm not a criminal. But I think the perk gets fine through court of all the damages he/she has done once found guilty.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:40 PM

According to TV logic
Old 02-22-2014, 09:45 PM

You dont have to be a criminal to know..

Just need some legal adivce
Old 02-22-2014, 11:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

there are a lot of law offices that provide free legal advice and what you can/can't do. you're probably going to have to wait for about 3 months to really get anything. if anything, try and source used parts now. Get your car ready for repairs.

If what Ray says is true, you will be paid for new/certified used parts, as if insurance was covering your car. You can pocket the difference for those parts.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

To be honest you probably won't get much. The responsibility is on the criminal. Which if he is stealing cars I'm going to guess he has no insurance or money. I don't believe the county will cover anything.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:25 AM

Just a side question of curiosity. The fine will get paid either by in full, wage garnish, or community service. But what if they went to prison and don't have the money.
Old 02-23-2014, 02:04 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sucks to hear this man. Situation sucks all together..

What I would suggest is finding a place won't charge you your deductible. Whether it mean you buying your own used bumper and fender to trim costs off the estimate. Essentially, if you take it to a shop and have a police report already I would tell the insurance you need to fix it and want to "pay your deductible" and if they are able to scrape by without having to charge you the $500 you will still get a check for $500 once the insurance gets it being you weren't at fault in the first place.

You are better off doing it this way rather than jumping through hoops yourself and dealing with the court to get your money. I know someone that had to do this and it was really time consuming because the court doesn't give a shit about his car in all honesty. GL with everything man, Hope it all works out for you.
Old 02-23-2014, 02:42 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Thateguhate
Sucks to hear this man. Situation sucks all together..

What I would suggest is finding a place won't charge you your deductible. Whether it mean you buying your own used bumper and fender to trim costs off the estimate. Essentially, if you take it to a shop and have a police report already I would tell the insurance you need to fix it and want to "pay your deductible" and if they are able to scrape by without having to charge you the $500 you will still get a check for $500 once the insurance gets it being you weren't at fault in the first place.

You are better off doing it this way rather than jumping through hoops yourself and dealing with the court to get your money. I know someone that had to do this and it was really time consuming because the court doesn't give a shit about his car in all honesty. GL with everything man, Hope it all works out for you.

He said he only has liability, so he wasn't covered at the time of this incident.
Old 02-23-2014, 03:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i don't think anyone else has been in this specific situation before. curious on how it can be resolved

Quick Reply: Police Chase