California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Please Watch out for Motorcyclist

Old 10-17-2008, 04:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by K7S2KGSXR750,Oct 17 2008, 12:59 PM
Its true that motorcyclist shouldnt be an offensive rider becasue of the size difference and protection difference between a motorcycle and a car but a car running a red light in a very crowded intersect in a school zone is very unpredictable
i agree. too many people run red lights on 19th. especially in front of state, even when there are usually always cops there. i've had my m1 for about 1 1/2 years now, but unfortunately, i don't have a bike not because of the danger. damn financial struggles from bring a college student. =\
Old 10-17-2008, 06:11 PM

Yeah, its things like this deter me from riding again. You really have to ride like you are invisible. Those who ride, be careful out there.
Old 10-17-2008, 06:51 PM

its just too bad, in this situation that car that beat the red light is at fault.. i dont hate motorcyclists but please, whoever does ride a bike. dont risk your lives (or others) try to be more cautious...

i do know to ride a bike (dad have a yellow duc). but since two of my uncles died riding a bike.. i have no more balls to ride one again.
Old 10-17-2008, 07:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate even driving in San Francisco. I have hardly ever seen a red light there that didn't get run by at least one driver. I just assume it's going to happen so I just wait until I see the first cars that actually stop. I imagine that it would suck to be a motorcyclist in that situation...you pull up to the front because that's what you're taught to do (I guess, motorcyclists all seem to do this). Then you don't want to seem like you're holding up traffic behind you, but you don't want to take off when someone is running the light.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by K7S2KGSXR750,Oct 17 2008, 12:01 AM
Just a reminder to please watch out for motorcyclist

A guy got hit off a motorcycle by a car in front of SF State today

A puddle of blood dripped out of his helmet and in critical condition going to the hospital

Thank you for Reading
when i ride, i know i appreciate when people blink before lane changes. you don't have to see me just give me a chance to get out of your way, is what riders think.

as for accidents at red lights, that's just what it is; of course the motorcyclist should assume the worst (for self preservation) but that car could have killed someone in a car just the same. they are at fault, end of story.

RIP rider
Old 10-18-2008, 12:25 PM

If you want to read more about what happened, here you go: Motorcycle accident in SF...

I ride too and am a newbie. I thought I was a good driver, but there is SO MUCH more to pay attention to when you're on a bike and the only thing separating you from others (and the ground/pavement/asphalt/unfriendly metal parts of cars and trucks) is a few layers of leather, fabric, etc...

You really learn to be aware of ALL that's around you. You also see all the people that aren't paying attention. There are some idiots on bikes that ride rudely...and some in cars that do the same. If EVERYONE had to take MSF, learn how to ride a bike, and then go out and do it in the real world, we'd have a much better group of drivers on the roads.

Maybe we'd even weed out many that shouldn't be on the road either...

Thanks for reading...
Old 10-18-2008, 10:51 PM
Former Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by s2image,Oct 17 2008, 12:32 PM
Sad news.. That is why I always wait a second or so before crossing a light when it just turn green.

RIP
Waiting will do nothing, you should look both ways even if the lights been green for a while especially if the intersection is empty.
I was stopped at a red light and was almost ran over on the bike, if I hadn't moved out of the way she would have plowed right through me.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by s2image,Oct 17 2008, 11:32 AM
Sad news.. That is why I always wait a second or so before crossing a light when it just turn green.

RIP
terrible to hear.

I've been riding a lot more down here in LA ... but even as much as I find myself lane sharing or cutting to the front at lights... I NEVER go when it turns green.. there are always people who run the reds... typically two or three cars
Old 10-19-2008, 12:09 AM

After my years of experience riding I noticed that what makes a decent and proficient motorcyclist turns you into a really outstanding driver.

Be careful out there guys, too many people are careless.
Old 10-19-2008, 12:19 AM

sadluy enough, you never know where red-light runners will be coming from...

i was rear-ended because i was having a nice morning, and when i saw the light change to yellow, i chose to slow down and stop...complete stop when light changed to red.....

guy behind me thought i was going to run it

Quick Reply: Please Watch out for Motorcyclist