California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Plastic tub rattles when soft top is up?

Old 09-10-2004, 12:49 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Thumbs up Plastic tub rattles when soft top is up?

I went yesterday to Honda to buy a total of 7 plastic clips that secure the plastic tub panels that surround the convertible top when it's open. Costed me almost $35!

When my top is down, the cloth top pushes against the plastic panels and the bass sounds great. However when my top is up, it rattles like crazy!

I am going to replace those 7 clips but has anyone used Dynamat or anything else to dampen the rattles?

What is the best way to gain access to that section since the soft top and head rest bars are in the way!

any input appreciated!
rick
Old 09-10-2004, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dude..when you find the freaking rattle let me know..cuz my exhaust has created a rattle in the soft top area i can't find...and it bugs the SH!T out of me... really.. when my top is up i get like a plasitc on plastic rattle that kills my drive...
Old 09-11-2004, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by s4play,Sep 10 2004, 01:49 PM
What is the best way to gain access to that section since the soft top and head rest bars are in the way!
If your talking bout the section that the soft top retracts to when down, it looks very hard to get to. Try removing one of the seats so you can better reach this area.
Old 09-13-2004, 05:30 AM

well even if he removed the seats tony, the "rollbar" (that crap behind the seats) is still in the way... and that's primarily the problem, not the seats the seats can just be leaned forward
with reference to the rattling.. dude i get that without exhaust or soundsystem
Old 09-13-2004, 06:44 AM

Received 321 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by racer chick,Sep 13 2004, 05:30 AM
well even if he removed the seats tony, the "rollbar" (that crap behind the seats) is still in the way... and that's primarily the problem, not the seats the seats can just be leaned forward
with reference to the rattling.. dude i get that without exhaust or soundsystem
Yeah i get it to. Im just getting to lazy to tear my car apart and go and fix it.
Old 09-13-2004, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by ROLLININMYS2000,Sep 13 2004, 06:44 AM
Yeah i get it to. Im just getting to lazy to tear my car apart and go and fix it.
i am too..but it kills me sometimes...im ready to have someone drive my car while i lay in the trunk...HAHAHAHA
Old 09-13-2004, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by racer chick,Sep 13 2004, 06:30 AM
DUUUUUUUUUUUUDE Mary Ann

My seat doesn't go forward enough for me to get behind it and reach back there with out playing twister If I removed one of the seats, I would be able to position myself better to gain limited access behind the roll hoops without twisting and bending my body like Gumby
Old 09-13-2004, 04:49 PM
s2l

that plastic pan is pretty easy to taken out. It involves leaving the top up, snaking your arms and upper body between the two seats and popping all the pop rivels holding in the rear panel. Then yank that out and the rest of the pop rivels can be taken out. Then after you get all of that out, get a finger under the pan and lift it up. Its going to get stuck so you need to bend it into a rainbow shape slightly so the edges will clear. Once you have that cleared out, its a matter of manuevering it out of the car. Dynamat the bottom and reinstall. Reinstall is reverse. Shouldnt take you longer than 2 mins to get it out. Might take you 10 mins to put back in though. haha.
Old 09-14-2004, 12:01 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Yeah that plastic tub is a BIT$% to get at....

Thanks for all the advice - being that I'm not so flexible, I could tell this was going to take me a long ordeal...

Before I even tackled the rattling problem, I spent a good hour polishing my plastic rear window with this new Meguiar's cleaner that a fellow s2k member recommended. Let me be the first to say it was a PITA but the results turned out quite nice.

Ok, onto the clip installs. I found the best method is to put your knee on your seats and then reach back carefully tucking ur head underneath the soft top. The rear clips are easy to put in but ones on the front side took a bit longer. Apparently my bottom tray was not lined up with the front and rear pieces thus it was rattling and making this annoying plastic on plastic creaking / rubbing noise!

I did not have any dynamat on hand so just had to put that piece back in there temporarily w/ the back 3 clips but it was dramatically better. Going to drop by the stereo shop for some Dynamat and try this again later if my back isn't too sore....

thanks,
rick
Old 09-15-2004, 09:01 AM

Theres a plastic piece along the back wall of the tub, its the vertical piece running along the back. Take that piece out, you cant really see it anyway, and the it will dramatically reduce the vibration noise. I had the same problem.

Quick Reply: Plastic tub rattles when soft top is up?