California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

plasti-dip

Old 02-01-2014, 06:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default plasti-dip

plasti-dipped the badges and emblems this afternoon! i cleaned the areas to be sprayed with alcohol and wiped it with a polishing cloth for good measure. masked off what i needed to and sprayed away. that's it. i have to re-do the trunk badge though. it was the first one i sprayed and i overcoated it. looked like crap and even worse when i started to take the masking tape off. the plasti-dipped peeled right off with now issues though, as advertised. lucky! the rest of the badges aren't glossy smooth, but has a bit of texture instead. i think it's the nature of plasti-dip, but i'm still happy with the result.

i think i will plasti-dip my wheels black. anyone done that before? how should i prep it before spraying on the plasti-dip? just a clean thoroughly, or do i need to put down a layer of primer or a bonding agent?

Old 02-01-2014, 07:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No bondo or anything like that. Just a real good clean with water and dish soap. You really don't even need to mask. It comes right off the tire it won't bond to the tire at all.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:54 PM

yeah, i've been watching some of the video's on dipyourcar.com's youtube page. this stuff is too simple to use. haha! and i just learned the reason my badges have a bit of texture to them is because i sprayed from too far away. the can says 12", but the guy from dipyourcar.com says to keys to smoothness is 1) spraying at 5" and 2) the first coat needs to be very light and the subsequent coats need to be heavy.

i think i'll probably dip my whole car. i need a paint job anyway, but i'm really loving this plasti-dip!
Old 02-01-2014, 08:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It well come out smooth for sure. I did my rims and loved it. Upgraded to ap2 wheels and almost thought about doing them again but yeah light coats and get heavier as you go. I did about three to four coats total. The thicker the layer the easier it is to peel back off.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

did you get clean lines inside the 000's? i kind of gave up and just started taking the emblems off. only have 1 S off atm but it is looking much better than my first attempt. my plastidipping skills need some working on.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:15 PM

i didn't tape it off perfectly, but i think the only way to get it better would've been to pull the emblems off the car to dip them. when i pulled the masking tape out, i couldn't see flaws even from up close. i had cleaned the badges with a q-tip (completely unnecessary), so i cut one in half and used it to tuck masking tape into the 000's. then, i used a sharp knife to trim the excess tape, trying my best to not f@#k up the paint. that's it really.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you're better off just spraying the whole section like you did with the front and rear and then peeling the inner areas of the 0's. i plastidipped mine but i debadged them cause it got annoying when i waxed the fender
Old 02-02-2014, 10:59 PM

i taped the hood and trunk badges too. it was tedious, but i like this sort of thing. it's like shining shoes or boots. i love it. i could be autistic. idk. a viable option would be to just spray it and leave the inner sections dipped too if you have a black car. the space in the 0's are small enough that it didn't look bad at all before i peeled it out.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:01 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tkeyyy
you're better off just spraying the whole section like you did with the front and rear and then peeling the inner areas of the 0's. i plastidipped mine but i debadged them cause it got annoying when i waxed the fender
This is a good point to highlight. Plasti dip does not play well with white carbuna wax. I got a little on my black plasti dipped trunk and it was bad news.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:57 AM

Looks great! I should take the time to redo my emblems - didn't apply enough layers the first time around.

Quick Reply: plasti-dip