California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Passing smog with an older Comptech header on an AP2

Old 09-14-2011, 05:40 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by lewiS2K
Let me know if u wanna unload the header, possible trade plus cash on my end
LOL, you don't want my header bro, its not even street legal on your car!
There is no way I can unload the header, actually. It was a special gift given to me by Drisana! Its a custom sandblasted version with racebred pedigree from the one and only Andrie!

Because t he s2ki boys are so nice, Drisana is always open to another 4x4 off roading trek!
Old 09-14-2011, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by whiteflash
Casey, I also have an OEM header you can borrow along with my cat if it's necessary
I'm going to try getting it tested first, and it if fails the visual, for header and/or cat, I'll be calling you.
If I somehow fail emissions (though Asura assures me their HFC cat will work..it uses a universal Magnaflow core), I will be calling you.

You are a very generous man, and I appreciate this offer sincerely.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:20 PM

To confirm my research, CT replied today:

Casey,

You are correct in assuming the number on your header won’t pass smog. Has the car been smogged already with the header on?
If you don’t mind me asking, where and when did you purchase this header?

Thanks,

Nate Haines
CT Engineering
ph: (916) 635-4550 x.300
fx: (916) 635-4632
nate@ct-engineering.com
www.ct-engineering.com
Old 09-15-2011, 07:50 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
Old 10-06-2011, 09:37 PM

Just to update everyone. I was able to pass with the AP1 comptech header on my car, even though the CARB # isn't even meant for my specific car.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by eklipz98
Just to update everyone. I was able to pass with the AP1 comptech header on my car, even though the CARB # isn't even meant for my specific car.
It really boils down to the person doing the smog. I had the same problem with my CAI. The first smog shop I went to checked the numbers and my injen CAI is for AP1 cars... mine is AP2. so I tries another smog shop and the guy had me pull it in and he smogs it no questions asked.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by eklipz98
Did they even look at the EO # on the header? btw, did you pass smog with the hfc?
Old 11-23-2011, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by nos4you
Originally Posted by eklipz98' timestamp='1317965841' post='21048003
Did they even look at the EO # on the header? btw, did you pass smog with the hfc?
They do look at the EO on the header, 100% yes.
They did not cross reference the number to my car. I think the basic idea was that a # was present.

The Asura HFC is 100% not street legal in California. I failed two smog tests with it on. See the link in my signature for specific info about Asura.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:49 PM

^^^^ Cool.. Do you think I can get away with a Comptech header. My car is a 2005.
I read your earlier post that the carb # is only for 2000-2004. I wonder if I would have issues.
BTW, how do you like the Comptech header? Would you do it again or go another route?
Old 11-23-2011, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by nos4you
^^^^ Cool.. Do you think I can get away with a Comptech header. My car is a 2005.
I read your earlier post that the carb # is only for 2000-2004. I wonder if I would have issues.
BTW, how do you like the Comptech header? Would you do it again or go another route?
I wanted a street legal set up. The comptech header should be street legal, provided it is the right application. Each smog shop is different, but as long as you have a carb # plain and obvious on the comptech header, I don't imagine you'd have a problem.

One trick I learned is that if they fail you on a visual inspection, do NOT let them test the car anyways. Obviously it will fail the overall test, and they might try to rope you into coming back by passing emissions, and failing overall due to failed visual. If they fail you with a flashlight, bail.

I think you will pass, as long as you've got the same header as me. I wasn't happy with the shop that passed me, so I won't recommend them.

As for would I do it all over again. The answer is yes. I really can't say that the comptech header did anything other than quiet down my exhaust and reduce the drone (this is the comptech exhaust I'm talking about. I won't make any claim to fame about the butt dyno or performance difference because I really am not sure if anything changed. I do feel like there is a more noticeable vtec transition point, and the top of the power band near red line smoothened out, as if the power keeps going a little longer.

Maybe Drisana can chime in because she does feel the effects of each mod I do.

Got to give my girlfriend, Drisana, credit for purchasing this wonderful header, and Andrie credit for giving a great deal on it.

Quick Reply: Passing smog with an older Comptech header on an AP2