California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Our Drive to Burney Falls

Old 05-14-2011, 10:47 AM

Received 248 Likes on 177 Posts
Default Our Drive to Burney Falls

Cindy and I went to Burney Falls on Thursday(left home at 3:45am) had breakfast in Shasta City and took back roads all the way home. 607 miles and the weather was just right for the top down(54* to 76*) the falls are going strong with all the snow on Burney Mt. but damn that water is cold. We like to take our drives on weekdays because you have less cars on the roads and the parks are not very busy during the week unlike weekends which can be very busy.

Here are the pic's we took
http://s949.photobucket.com/albums/a...ive/?start=all

ROD
Old 05-14-2011, 10:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

jealous!!!
Old 05-14-2011, 11:34 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Rod, I'm jealous of your Fuelly MPG!
Old 05-15-2011, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by eklipz98
I was hoping you would be jealous of the drive
As for my gas mileage I seem to get better mileage on the "fun" roads than I do going down the freeway. I get 25 to 26 mpg on the freeway@75 to 85 mph and get real good mileage in the twisty's making the tires sing. I had to slow down on the way home from Phoenix so I could make it to the next gas station but I was going 90 to 100 for about two hours.

ROD
Old 05-16-2011, 01:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow, everytime I see you make new thread makes me think of how much I used to drive. I put 239,000 miles on my Nissan 200sx SE-R before I laid it to rest. How many miles are on your S?
Old 05-16-2011, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by rrounds
Originally Posted by eklipz98' timestamp='1305401680' post='20575690
I was hoping you would be jealous of the drive
As for my gas mileage I seem to get better mileage on the "fun" roads than I do going down the freeway. I get 25 to 26 mpg on the freeway@75 to 85 mph and get real good mileage in the twisty's making the tires sing. I had to slow down on the way home from Phoenix so I could make it to the next gas station but I was going 90 to 100 for about two hours.

ROD
Oh of course I am jealous of your drive. That goes without saying.

I get similar gas mileage to what you log on the freeway.
However, I get nearly 10mpg less than you report when I make my tires sing in the twisties.
- Are you using vtec or WOT during these twisty drives?
- Are you rolling downhill in neutral while making those tires sing?
Please explain how your increased mileage in the twisties is made possible!
Old 05-16-2011, 09:04 AM

If I have a long down hill drive(over 5% grade) I do pop it into neutral(not in the twisties though), if I don't I have to give it some gas to maintain the same speed. I don't get into vtec to often in the twisties, I'm still learning the power surge when vtec engages(I wish it was a smoother transition). I just mainly try to maintain my speed around the corner and power out of it, be it posted 20 mph or 40 mph at a speed that will let me have some fun but not put the car in a ditch. I do go WOT on some corners but most of the time I don't and I think that is where I save the most gas, hit a posted 20 mph corner at 35 and exit it at 40.

Where I start my drives the elevation is 25ft so if I take the freeway up to 8000' and take the back roads going home that also saves me gas, that is why I leave home early(before 4 a.m.) so I get to the fun roads after the Sun comes up. And a lot of the roads I drive on don't have guardrails and I don't want to find out how well the "S" will protect me after I go off a cliff with a 1500' drop.

I found most of the roads I take the "S" on after riding them for years(35+) on my motorcycles, I take my car on roads that most people don't even know exist. My wife and I go for drives first for the scenery and second for the fun of the road itself.

ROD
Old 05-16-2011, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by rydelow
wow, everytime I see you make new thread makes me think of how much I used to drive. I put 239,000 miles on my Nissan 200sx SE-R before I laid it to rest. How many miles are on your S?
We bought the car 6 months ago(had 20,149 miles on it) and have put 16k miles on it.

ROD
Old 05-16-2011, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by rrounds
If I have a long down hill drive(over 5% grade) I do pop it into neutral(not in the twisties though), if I don't I have to give it some gas to maintain the same speed. I don't get into vtec to often in the twisties, I'm still learning the power surge when vtec engages(I wish it was a smoother transition). I just mainly try to maintain my speed around the corner and power out of it, be it posted 20 mph or 40 mph at a speed that will let me have some fun but not put the car in a ditch. I do go WOT on some corners but most of the time I don't and I think that is where I save the most gas, hit a posted 20 mph corner at 35 and exit it at 40.

Where I start my drives the elevation is 25ft so if I take the freeway up to 8000' and take the back roads going home that also saves me gas, that is why I leave home early(before 4 a.m.) so I get to the fun roads after the Sun comes up. And a lot of the roads I drive on don't have guardrails and I don't want to find out how well the "S" will protect me after I go off a cliff with a 1500' drop.

I found most of the roads I take the "S" on after riding them for years(35+) on my motorcycles, I take my car on roads that most people don't even know exist. My wife and I go for drives first for the scenery and second for the fun of the road itself.

ROD
Hi Rod,

Thanks for your detailed explanation. I wasn't sure if it was a difference between our cars, or our driving style that caused our Fuelly readings to be so disparate. I've got an admittedly lead foot (enough to anchor a cruise ship), and a thirst and addiction for vtec, which undoubtedly causes my MPG to plummet comparatively.

The scenery you've passed by in your 16k of s2k ownership is simply stunning. Thank you for always sharing!

Old 05-16-2011, 10:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so nice... !!

Quick Reply: Our Drive to Burney Falls