California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Opinion on CF Spoilers

Old 02-02-2015, 04:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinion on CF Spoilers

I'm thinking of getting an APR GTC-200 carbon fiber spoiler for my S. The only thought that's preventing me from getting the spoiler is that I live in San Francisco Ingleside district, thus there's all sorts of people. I'm primarily concerned for my spoiler being on the street since I don't have a garage for her. Is it common that people have their spoilers stolen? Opinions and experiences please!
Old 02-02-2015, 06:01 PM

if they want it, they will take it
Old 02-02-2015, 08:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i wouldn't keep a nice carbon fiber wing on my car without a garage at night. even with security screws.
Old 02-02-2015, 08:24 PM

I live near the ingleside too someone set off my alarm so I ran outside with a machete and dude hopped into his car and never came back lol..
Old 02-02-2015, 08:25 PM

I also have a apr gtc 200
Old 02-02-2015, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by kenneths2k
I live near the ingleside too someone set off my alarm so I ran outside with a machete and dude hopped into his car and never came back lol..
Lmao yeah I'm worried cause of our neighborhood... I have a viper 2 way alarm, don't know if that will stop them
Old 02-02-2015, 09:55 PM

One way is just get a spare trunk and swap it back and forth. That's what one of my buddies do.
Old 02-03-2015, 06:39 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Be sure you have comprehensive insurance and a reasonable deductible amount with the wing specifically named in the policy.

I can tell you with certainty that the first impulse people have when they see a big wang is to walk up to it, grab it with both hands, and start shaking it back and forth. I say this statement some what provocatively and jokingly, but it's completely true.

Be prepared to reinforce your trunk (cr trunk stiffeners, or more) and be prepared for the trunk to deform.

Be prepared for every smart ass troll in the parking lot to walk up to you and say "how's the under steer" , so come up with a script you can reply right away and not feel like your manhood has been stripped away by the insensitivity and naivety.

Be prepared for a love/hate relationship between your wing and others on the road, ranging from thumbs up an paparazzi style photo mobs to bizarre loud vulgar homophobic statements coming from cars with teenage drivers.

All this tips come from an apr gtc 300 owner.
Old 02-03-2015, 06:48 AM

Wow you guys are doing a great job at convincing me NOT to get the spoiler. But thanks for your opinion and experiences from the real world. Greatly appreciated.
Old 02-03-2015, 07:12 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

besides the theft risk, keep in mind that the biggest attention getters for law enforcement are:

tint
huge wings & body kits
modified exhausts, esp canister, N1 types
HP adding stickers

that said, if you really want one, get it. can't run scared of thieves or law enforcement. just be mindful of the risks. i wouldn't waste $$ on modifying your insurance policy to incl the wing though. if you have a bunch of aftermarket parts to cover, maybe. if you have a few mods, i'd just stick w/your regular coverage. replacement cost for OEM parts is about the same or more than even most "jdm" parts.

definitely have a decent alarm and security screws if you do get one. they won't stop good scumbags, but it'll deter or slow down the common dirtbags

Quick Reply: Opinion on CF Spoilers