Old 02-12-2011, 10:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So you got Doubles Mac?
Old 02-12-2011, 11:04 PM
Former Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by XqiZit,Feb 12 2011, 11:43 PM
So you got Doubles Mac?
Yes and I don't think I'll need to upgrade to triples in the future, PSI seems to have done a good job getting high speed damping right.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by macr88,Feb 12 2011, 05:31 PM
Yes, should it be?
Edwin and I were actually discussing this yesterday. Some coilover manufacturers state an advantage of their design is that the height adjustment is independent from preload, (a design such as Tein SRC). However, there are a lot of quality coilovers that do not have height adjustment separate from preload (bilstein, KW, and your ohlin ttx for example). We were wondering if there is an advantage to having height adjustment independent from preload. What's your opinion on this, having gone through various sets of suspension?
Old 02-13-2011, 10:24 AM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by caffeinefr3e,Feb 13 2011, 01:32 AM
Edwin and I were actually discussing this yesterday. Some coilover manufacturers state an advantage of their design is that the height adjustment is independent from preload, (a design such as Tein SRC). However, there are a lot of quality coilovers that do not have height adjustment separate from preload (bilstein, KW, and your ohlin ttx for example). We were wondering if there is an advantage to having height adjustment independent from preload. What's your opinion on this, having gone through various sets of suspension?
There is no advantage and if anything a disadvantage due to having a smaller damper in a place you could have used a larger damper that contains more oil.
Bump and droop can still be adjusted assuming the body length is correct for the chassis, the bilsteins if used with certain upper spherical mounts are too long so the bodies would need to get cut down but when used with stock top hats you have enough bump travel to eat your fender if you so desire.
Im going to guess that having a height adjustable damper is an advantage for the manufacturer and not for us. That's just a guess though.

As long as your damper can maximize your available bump travel and you're not droop limited then you're good.

Preload vs height would be much easier to explain in person but I'll try.
Some might say that they feel a difference when preload is adjusted, depending on what they felt could have either been due to them being droop or bump limited or just feeling the difference that preload made to ride height.
Example 1: I have a damper that only uses two inches of stroke in the middle of overall stroke due to spring choice and the damper has a six inch stroke. If I increase preload and reduce height by one inch each are you going to notice a difference in ride or handling quality? Unless you can feel the slight difference of having less gas pressure due to piston position then the answer would be no.

Example 2: I have a damper that uses two inches of stroke at the last two inches of stroke of a six inch stroke damper (meaning, if we were to use more bump stroke the damper would bottom out on the bumpstop). If I were to reduce spring preload and increase ride height one inch each would I notice a difference? The damper would bottom out on the bumpstop often.

Example 3: I have a damper that uses two inches of stroke in the middle of a six inch stroke damper. If I were to reduce preload by two inches I would reduce ride height by two inches assuming I have a 1:1 motion ratio. Assuming the bumpstop was already in an optimal bump location and used all available wheel travel then the only difference I would notice is a lower ride height and if I ran over something that needed more bump travel I would just hit the bumpstop protecting the tire from possible lockup or damage to the fender.
If I were to reduce ride height by two inches I would also lower the car by two inches assuming the same mr but I risk the possibility of having too much bump stroke and either the tire hitting a solid piece of the chassis, the suspension bottoming on the chassis or the tire eating my fender, all bad.
The only reason to ever need to change ride height or bumpstop position is if there is a change in available wheel bump travel. This is either done by wheel choice, fender mods, chassis mods or all of the above. The TTX although non height adjustable is capable of taking full advantage of all available wheel bump travel if modifications are made to the chassis or fenders as explained above.

I hope this makes sense and if it doesn't I'm always more than happy to explain over a boba

For anyone that rides a bike please leave info about bikes out of this as they are usually bump or droop limited due to improper spring choice.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:42 AM

Give me a ride sometimes Mac!
Old 02-13-2011, 11:04 AM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by maxrev,Feb 13 2011, 11:42 AM
Anytime
It's definitely different than JRZ/Moton in a good way, I think you'll like it.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:09 AM

My impressions compared to the SRC & Monoflexes:

They were a lot less green, and a little bit more gold.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by danvuquoc,Feb 14 2011, 10:09 AM
My impressions compared to the SRC & Monoflexes:

They were a lot less green, and a little bit more gold.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:08 AM

Old 02-15-2011, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by maxrev,Feb 13 2011, 11:42 AM
Me too!!

Quick Reply: Ohlins TTX