California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Oakland... Dammmmn :(

Old 07-28-2009, 10:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by XenonKiller99,Jul 28 2009, 09:55 PM
That's why I don't go to Oakland, especially w/ my s2k. I think one member on this thread was chased and shot at in his s2k while driving around there. Now, that's scary.
f that.

I don't even go there with my civic in the afternoon. Too risky, not down to get shot.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:35 PM

Have you guys seen videos of "hoodstompin"? Basically a bunch of dudes hop on the hoods of cars and stomp on them. One other form of "entertainment" that's ridiculous.

When I used to do valet at Santana Row one of my co-workers told me a story of a time when he was in Oakland. Keep in mind that he's white. From what I remember he was stuck behind a bus. As he was waiting he saw in the corner of his eye a black male walking towards his car (co-worker was driving an EG hatch). The man put his hands on the passenger side window sill (windows were rolled down at the time) and told my co-worker that he was in the wrong neighborhood.

Pretty crazy experience but at least my co-worker wasn't harmed in any way. It could've been worse.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:50 PM

Damn dumb a$$ mi dangs up to no good! No wonder they have they rep they do for shiet like this.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:19 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I went to Oakland to drop off a female at her house, around midnight, decided I needed to get gas, went to a gas station, got out of the car, went to to the bullet-proof window to ask the clerk for $25 worth of gas, 10 black kids b/t 13-17yrs old start coming towards me and ask me for some money. I said here's $5, that's all I have. So they left me alone. Then while I was pumping gas, 2-3 kids start cussing at the asian clerk(about 21yrs old) behind the window to come out of the store cuz they wanted to woop his ass. The kids were like we're gonna get you once you get off work!! Get ready to get shot! Damn!! I hurried the hell up, and got in my car and sped!! lol. I don't think all of Oakland is bad neither are all black people bad. I think it's just a a few that ruins it and make Oakland a bad image. The city looks pretty nice, it's just at night time it becomes dangerous and lawless.

Ellis St, Mission and Silver Ave. is pretty ghetto. I always see fights in the daytime.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:21 AM

not all parts of Oakland are bad! But I do avoid going to Oakland, not even flying out of Oakland airport given the same distance between Oakland&San Jose airport. I know i know it's bit extreme.

Several days ago, I saw an article on yahoo with statisics of crime and murder rate. Believe or not, given the size and population, Oakland and few other US cities are more dangerous than Iraq. Oakland also is notoriously famous for its busy 911 lines people often having trouble to talk to someone in event of real emergencies.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:50 AM

I have a friend w/ RX8 w/ busted brake light housing because he failed to respond to this brother's "nice car" comment as he was already getting into the car.....I had lived in Berkeley for about 6 years before I moved back to San Jose. I try to avoid Oaktown and Richmond area as much as possible. There are a few nice areas though especially if you start going towards the hillside....
Old 07-29-2009, 01:36 PM

A friend of mine grew up in Richmond, and worked all the time at the liquor store his family owned. He lost count long ago of the number of times, he's had a gun pointed at him while being robbed. He said it was always the same local morons who would stick him up for cash while wearing ski masks, and then come in later with the cash and buy liquor. WTF!!

Also, a buddy of mine lives in Oakland right by the Berkeley border. Right outside his house, there's a notice from the city taped to a telephone pole, warning residents of "Retaliatory Gang Violence" and goes on to describe three shooting incidents involving automatic weapons within the last few weeks." Really effed up. I was over at his place one evening having dinner, and we heard a drive-by shooting. Pop! Pop! Pop! Screeeech!!!
Old 07-29-2009, 01:43 PM

During my gig as a real estate agent, I've been inside foreclosed houses in Oakland that were gang houses. You wouldn't believe the stench and filth of those places. I think homeless people living on the street have more sanitary conditions. At least outside, it rains in the winter. I'm not even joking.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:09 PM

Oakland is trying to improve their image and has produced a video to promote tourism:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzkoeyhAAdk [/media]
Old 07-29-2009, 02:11 PM

I still hold a grudge though, I fell of my bike there on June 1st and broke my wrist.

Quick Reply: Oakland... Dammmmn :(