California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

NOR-CAL TO BECOME LIKE SO-CAL

Old 02-01-2007, 06:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I don't know much about cars but not all modded cars look good. It's all depend on if you just what a "show" car or you want a car actually performed and improve your own driving skill so you can have fun driving the car. I think we have a good mix here.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

norcal to be more like socal? what was wrong with norcal to begin with? as someone already said above, bayarea has a good mix show, race, and/or both. a lot of cool folks that keep their cars stock as well. fyi there's a whole lot of modded/nonmodded s2k's out there that aren't on the boards or go to meets. just check out these pics from previous fish&chips meets. notice count and how diverse the crowd was.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by hyperpm,Feb 1 2007, 11:07 AM
norcal to be more like socal? what was wrong with norcal to begin with? as someone already said above, bayarea has a good mix show, race, and/or both. a lot of cool folks that keep their cars stock as well. fyi there's a whole lot of modded/nonmodded s2k's out there that aren't on the boards or go to meets.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:36 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

born+raised in The Bay & lived in LA for a buncha years + I/my friends have been in the import/car scene forever (as racers on the street+strip & working in the industry), so I think I have a pretty good take on this........

--car scene in The Bay has improved dramatically over the years.....more shops (REAL ones not them sticker+air freshener+cell phone doo-dad spots) + advent of the internet has made a wider variety of products more readily available to enthusiasts all over the place not just to NorCal'ers + peeps up here have been stepping things up & willing to take more chances/spend more $$$$ to try and hang w/the big dogs like the guys in SoCal.

--but SoCal will always "lead"............SoCal is the car mecca of The US (it's not Detroit). they set the trends & influence car makers + aftermarket manufacturers. many top design studios for the manuf's are down there & they have several NA corp HQ's there as well. the leading aftermarket manuf's + shops are there too.

a lot of people don't seem to recognize that SoCal life is based on having a car. cars are virtually indisposable down there. you pretty much can not get around w/out a car because public transportation sucks & everything is so spread apart. with all that dependence on vehicles, it's not that surprising that SoCal'ers are so into them. Don't forget they got THE WORST traffic in the nation too, so they have to make their rides all spiffy cuz they spend more than 1/2 their lives cooped up in them! LOL

on the flipside, many people in NorCal don't own cars because public transportation is pretty decent. It's similar to NYC but on a smaller scale. plus, NorCal isn't as image driven as SoCal. it's all about showing out down there w/what you have & who you know, party with, etc. it's a fun place, esp when you're single, but it gets old after a while.

anyways, modding cars shouldn't be about competition....to me anyways. it's a well-worn cliche, but just do things "for the love" (yourself). don't get caught up w/trying to one-up the other man/woman.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:24 AM

keep the input coming in
Old 02-01-2007, 11:42 AM

rich, you should link SOCAL section, and see what they have to say as well
Old 02-01-2007, 12:24 PM

IMHO socal > norcal when it comes to mods and shops
Old 02-01-2007, 12:24 PM

actually this thread is in some way on response to a thread i saw down there claiming how the scene down there is on another level....so we need to get the engine turning...

I MUST SAY THIS NOT A SOUTH V.S. NORTH TYPE CONFILCT WE LOVE OUR SOCAL BUDDIES AND FRIENDS.

now this is us trying to get recognized for what he have going on

i mean thats why most shops move down south and most mag ads have socal cars
one of the reasons i modded my car was talk the talk and walk the walk. on how things were in s2ki in the past...all i heard is things are better now period! ! and nicer
so we continue
Old 02-01-2007, 12:37 PM

i definitely agree that the scene is related to the location and enviroment of that location, such as how nyc has so many public transportation and that its so hard to drive a car in general in nyc so the scene isnt as big on the eastcoast as it is out here especially with the winter season over there and all...being born and raised on the eastcoast i used to travel to california quite often to visit and for buisness when i was into the import scene 24/7...anyways now i live in the bay area and im still very much involved in the scene even though i thought i was going to stop i guess i just can't give it up lol....

I know i'll do my best to provide you guys as the customers/enthusiasts with the best products and pricing available not so much that we are competiting with other areas or other vendors but just for the love of the import/euro scene.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:24 PM

Received 1,566 Likes on 1,437 Posts

So, here's what I see:

I haven't had my S now for almost a year, and yet, I show up, and I'm family (albeit the weird uncle, but still family). This speaks volumes about who we are as a group, and what we as a group, can do. We all love cars, and we all love our S'es.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the JDM Theory meet was a huge success for us (I wasn't there). However, I know a lot of the S2K people that were probably involved. Here's why we're having better meets:

1. We value the people more than the cars. (It's not to say we don't value the cars, but I'd like to believe we have our priorities straight).

2. We do stuff that people like to do (eat, drive, responsibly consume alcohol, look at hot people). . . and welcome anyone who wants to join.

3. We (but Rich and Vu in particular) are taking the time out to make themselves available for the other people in the group.

4. The best people I know in S2ki assume you're cool until you prove to be a jackass. . . not the other way around. This keeps the cliques at a minimum.

5. We respect everybody who has a car, regardless of the car.

6. We talk "up" everyone based on where they're at.
Example: Everyone harasses me about when I'm getting another S. . . I may not get one, but I appreciate everyone supporting. Everyone, as of late, has respected everyone else's station in their car, and in their life.

7. I've noticed a lack of street racing. I think that's actually a good thing. If we support our membership participating in SCCA, NASA, and other sanctioned endeavors, that respect becomes reciprocal. Our esprit d'corps from eschewing street racing will open doors for us (and gains us respect from generally better groups).

The future for this group is to just continue being the best of who we are. . . and if somebody's doing something right; let them know!!!!

Quick Reply: NOR-CAL TO BECOME LIKE SO-CAL