California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

New vehicle: Bought a Ridgeline

Old 04-21-2006, 11:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New vehicle: Bought a Ridgeline

I can't believe it happened so quickly, but I brought home a new Ridgeline this week. My Accord wasn't cutting it for hauling stuff. I'm keeping the S2K, and now I have two very contrasting Hondas--the most practical and the most impractical (but most fun).

I started testdriving medium-duty trucks with double cabs: Frontier, Tacoma, Tundra. The Ridgeline jumps out ahead of them all. One drive and I was inspired. Excellent engineering, creative ergonomics, practicality and versatility for the weekend warrior, and the most amazing ride quality I have ever experienced in a truck.

I quit the retail salespeople very quickly, and just sent emails to about ten dealers. (There are over 30 Honda dealers in the Bay Area!). I couldn't believe the deals I was offered. I ended up about $5000 under MSRP, $1800 under invoice (There is a $1000 incentive to dealers right now.) Final deal took 45 minutes to close and it was the simplest car transaction I have ever had in my life. Internet is the only rational way to buy a car these days.

I got everything I wanted: Model, color, rockbottom price, and, very importantly, a recent build date. My first year S2000 was about 600th off the line, and my first year Ridgeline is about 65,000th off the line. Slightly different scale of manufacturing.

If anybody is shopping a Ridgeline, feel free to PM me and I can share some of the offers I got for reference if you think that might help. Now seems to be an excellent time to buy. (Other than the fact that gas has been going up about ten cents a day...)

If anybody wants more information about the Ridgeline, warts and all, there is an excellent user community at www.ridgelineownersclub.com. Not quite S2ki, but give it five years or so...

The last couple of days have been quite fun as I get to know this new beast. It has so far met every expectation. I can't get this off my face... These things are really cool!
Old 04-21-2006, 11:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good deal! my friend just bought a silver one. i like it alot.. good buy
Old 04-22-2006, 12:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wanted a Ridgeline, but it doesn't fit in SF parking spots and I couldn't afford it anyway
Old 04-22-2006, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by LATEOTT,Apr 22 2006, 12:13 AM
gas has been going up about ten cents a day...
What kind of milage do you get?
Old 04-22-2006, 09:29 AM

I sat in one and it's very spacious. Only dislike was where they placed the spare tire. I would have think the engineers would know better not to put it in the bed.
Old 04-22-2006, 10:22 AM

^^lower center of gravity?
Old 04-22-2006, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by RACER,Apr 22 2006, 01:02 AM
What kind of milage do you get?
Still on the first tank! I should probably top it off before gas hits $5.00.

Most owners are reporting 16-22 mpg. Tonneau cover is supposed to help on the highway.
Old 04-22-2006, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by AsianQing,Apr 22 2006, 09:29 AM
I sat in one and it's very spacious. Only dislike was where they placed the spare tire. I would have think the engineers would know better not to put it in the bed.
Interesting, that's one of the things I kind of like. It's on a drawer/slide out shelf inside the in-bed trunk. The shelf slides out all the way to the tailgate and is supported near the tailgate by a little ledge. Having it inside keeps it clean, undamaged, and theft resistant (though I don't know who would want to steal it!)

That is the kind of feature that I really appreciate from auto engineers.
Old 04-22-2006, 02:41 PM

Can you order it with recaro seats?!

Old 04-22-2006, 04:56 PM

Oh man, shoulda bought it from me. =/

I can cut better deals than that. My dealership has way too many Ridgelines, and we're just itching to get rid of them to make more room for Civics and Fits.

Fred - They put the spare inside the bed so that it wouldn't get all dirty, given the fact that some truck drivers like to take it off-roading.

Joey - Did your friend get it from Damien?

Quick Reply: New vehicle: Bought a Ridgeline