California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

New s2k prices, msrp, markup.........

Old 08-10-2001, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New s2k prices, msrp, markup.........

Hi,

I've just registered and am new to this board. I signed up because I am currently researching to buy a brand new '01 s2k within days, or ASAP. I've recieved some numbers from various dealerships around the Bay Area, some of which are -

35,740, includes almost every option there is, except for hardtop and factory alarm, but includes, front, rear spoilers, CD changer, cargo net, etc etc etc.

32,740, includes nothing, completely strip

mid 35k (negotiable, possibly lower than the 35,740), includes rear spoiler, wheel locks, and CD changer, but that's it, not nearly as much as the 35,740.

so theres 3 quotes..
What do these numbers sound like. any advice or thoughts?
can I realistically get any lower numbers, like say in the 34k's?
Or is this the best I can do?

I am defintely in the market as we speak, willing to buy NOW.

I'd appreciate any comments..

Thanks,

Cliff
Old 08-10-2001, 01:20 PM
pfb

Cliff,

1. There are no factory options. There are a variety of dealer add-ons, almost all of which are available at a substantial discount through our board sponsors (see the bottom of this page). Dealers make lots of additional profit on this crap. I'd resist and buy what you really want (or alternative 3rd party accessories) from sponsors.

2. Most folks (although not all) are not fond of the fiberglass add-ons, and would rather have a car without spoilers and such.

3. Last winter, you could get an S2000 for $500 - $1,000 UNDER MSRP. I haven't seen those kind of deals since summer arrived, but MSRP should still be very obtainable. The Bay area is known for high prices, so if you can get a no-optioned car at MSRP ($32,700 + tax), I'd consider it a good deal.

4. 2002's will be here in a few months, and while rumors abound, most people believe they will have a glass rear window and a few new / few deleted color options.
Old 08-10-2001, 01:34 PM

after you buy, would you mind sharing which dealerships gave you those prices?
Old 08-10-2001, 04:22 PM

Sorry, my mistake...

that optionless 32,740, I quoted was a typo.
it's actually 35,240...... so it's only like 500 less than the one that comes with everything.
Old 08-10-2001, 04:26 PM

IMO, at those prices, you'd save a few hundred by buying out-of-state or in SoCali and shipping. Just a thought, requires a little more work, but mayb be worth it...esp. if you just drive up the car from LA or SD or soemthing.
Old 08-10-2001, 04:46 PM

C-werk1, please check your e-mail, thx
Old 08-10-2001, 08:34 PM

C-Wrek1,

Try calling around the Sacramento area if you don't mind driving far. Dealers in the Sacramento area definitely sells it a lot cheaper than the silicon valley area. I've had my car for one week now and its been great.

I paid MSRP ($32740) without the options since they gouge you on these dealer added options. Of course, I had to go to Elk Grove Honda which is quite a ways. Try other dealers though in the area since Elk Grove Honda supposedly received their allotment of S2000's for the year.

Goodluck finding an S2K. Its definitely worth it. Just a reminder though, do check those spring spacers upon delivery. Elk Grove Honda assured me that they took em out. But I found out today after logging in 300 miles on the car that the hard rubber spacers were still there.
Old 08-10-2001, 10:20 PM

C-Wrek1, welcome.

If you want to save yourself some trouble, go to priceline.com and make an offer for MSRP. Ray Baldwin will find you one at or close to that, but you may need to go a ways to get it.

It looks like the 2002 will definitely have a glass rear window, judging by the latest I've read here.

Stan Tillinghast
Old 08-11-2001, 11:22 PM

Well, I don't know if I was wise or anxious, but I went ahead and brought home my s2k last night, and throwing in the towel on my bargain hunting if you will. Here's the deal

35,588 - includes rear spoiler, wheel locks, and this "touch of class" brand paint sealent coat that does really feel significantly better at even a finger's touch. It's supposed to have tree sap and etc just rinse right off rather than bonding to your paint. I doubt it's worth thr $899 that they claimed it to be worth though, maybe more like 499, maybe.....
That's it, no Cd changer, no front spoiler, titanium shift knob, cargo net, nothing else. However, it was silverstone metallic, and I was having a hard time finding that color in the immediate area.

I am feeling a little bad when I read of your "32,740" in Elk Grove, Larry...But then again I had a trade in value issue too, and my car didn;t have an AC, which means it has way less trade-in value up in those non-Bay Area regions like Sac. So with that factor, plus the meager 2 options that they did throw in, I hope 35,588 was not bad?

As for the rubber spacers, I asked them, and of course they said sure they did. I tried reaching in under there trying to feel for any spacers, but don't believe I did. I could be mistaken though, how did you check yours?? I've already driven like 40 miles on it, and I'd like really know for sure before I put on anymore miles...

Thanks for all the feedback and advice guys!
I think I'll be posting quite a bit on this board
Old 08-12-2001, 01:04 PM

C-Wrek1,

Congratulations on your purchase. Now to go and check on the rubber spacers, I just grabbed a flashlight and visually inspected the springs. Should you find one, just jack up the car and pull the spacers and they should come off easily.

Again congratulations and the car is worth it... $35K and all...

Quick Reply: New s2k prices, msrp, markup.........