Need to temporarily borrow AP1 ECU to test a CEL

Old 05-11-2009, 11:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no problem, anytime!
Old 05-12-2009, 12:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by itS2Krazy,May 8 2009, 03:16 PM
Yeah kishore,

You need someones ignition too in order to swap ecus. So dagle is correct.

I've seen "still" have this problem before. It was a headache. He swapped ecu's and ignition and the problem was gone. I guess the ecu shorted? I could be wrong.
i didn't swap ignitions, i got a new ECU with a programmed uncut key. Installed the ECU and cut the key.

I had to use a JDM ECU to test though.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:49 AM

>>The thing with the P0411 is that it first comes up as a pending code on the first cold start, and then into a "MIL on" state only on >>the second cold start ( cold >>start means that coolant temp between 32 and 158 F )
>>So I took advantage of that fact and drove with the pending code after the first cold start for a few miles until the minimum # of >>OBD2 readiness codes were set >>to "ready" for CA smog tests [ I have a ODB2 scan tool ] and boom I passed the test ..

sorry for the reviving this 2 year old thread, but its smog time again and my p0411 CEL is still there.

The trick last time ( see above) did not work because the rules have changed since 2009. Basically, 2001 and newer vehicles cannot have more than 1 OBD readiness codes not ready, and I have two with the pending code for the P0411 after the first cold start.

The only way out is to fix the annoying P0411 issue and I need a spare AP1 ECU to test out my theory. Anybody has one that I could borrow, if it fixes the code, I will end up keeping it and pay you money for it.

Please help, I am already past due for my smog and registration ( expired yesterday, 5/9/2011 )

Thanks
-Kishore
Old 05-10-2011, 01:50 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

If you're willing to come out to SF I have an extra key/ECU available since i'm running an 05' ECU now. Are you sure your air plumbing is correct from check valve to air pump and back?
Old 05-10-2011, 02:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dagle
come down to SF, i have an 03' im not using.
i have an extra key, but i don't really want to take out the key lock cylinder unless if you want to do it yourself.

the key has to go through the key-ring reader, which sends matching codes through the ECU to start up. if any of the 3 components do not match in code, it won't work.

i don't think your keycylinder + both our keys + my ECU will work.
BTW, this is not exactly correct. You don't need key cylinder. The manual tells you how to jump the wires so you can start it with the key taped to the other key.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:25 PM

Dagle, Greatly appreciate your help . I sent you a PM.

I think I am relatively sure that the plumbing between the check valve and the air pump is correct, again, I haven't touched that part of the car since the cold air intake install 3+ years ago, so not 100% sure. The light came on immediately after the install.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Andrie
BTW, this is not exactly correct. You don't need key cylinder. The manual tells you how to jump the wires so you can start it with the key taped to the other key.
Not exactly sure, haha didn't realize I replied to this post over 2 years ago. I just gave Kishore my extra ECU+key. After thinking about it, it does seem like that would work but I'm not sure how the Key/immobilizer/ECU check each other and in what order.

I guess in this case, since Kishore's key/immobilizer will send OK to the ECU, and the code from my 00'key/ECU will be read as well, that it will work. But again, I'm not sure since I haven't ran it that way. I usually just swap all 3 components over as I'm doing now with the AP2 setup.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:21 PM

Damn and didn't realize I replied to thsi thread 2 years ago when I had the 03' lol... how time flies
Old 05-11-2011, 02:51 PM

I was at Joey's place yesterday, after swapping the ECUs and taping your key with mine, the car did not start. The tiny green key symbol on the dash was on and the car would just crank and not start.

I was reading on the forums that the old key has to be taped to the old ECU, will give that a shot and if that doesn't work, then would have to go to the dealer and have my keys reprogrammed.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:13 PM

Looks like I need to do this ( had couple of people on the forums mention that this would work ).

I must basically tape the immobilizer key from the donor ECU to a non-immobilizer key that fits my car, so I need a new cut un-programmed key.

Will let you guys know if this works.

Quick Reply: Need to temporarily borrow AP1 ECU to test a CEL