California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

NEED some advice, thanks.

Old 12-23-2008, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED some advice, thanks.

CEL, so today driving back from some errands (normal driving, already warmed up and everything) she threw a "malfunction indicator lamp" ugh ... referred to page 234 in manual, only solution provided was the gas cap being open, but not possible since I was mid-tank, and thus don't see it being better if I waited the suggested three days. I double checked anyways, but it was clicked closed, so im guessing its another problem. I didn't do any recent maintenance on the drivetrain, or emissions system.

Basically Im gonna try follow the manual and go see a dealership, does anyone know anyone at any local dealership that will be straight forward and honest with my and fix the problem asap. I will need the car for the event on the 2nd. So I'll go after xmas. OR does anyone have any other thoughts or ideas, does anybody have a edu scanner I could borrow maybe? I could I searched the forums, but everything related seemed to be caused by a mod.

My car drivetrain and emissions system are 100% bone stock so I cant really find much info.

TIA! any help would be greatly appreciated.
-Ken
Old 12-23-2008, 01:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ask joey to run the code for you
Old 12-23-2008, 01:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where are you located?
Old 12-23-2008, 02:49 PM

try another gas cap. your gas cap might have caused a leak...then reset it then you should be fine.if the code throwing was the gas cap...
Old 12-23-2008, 03:18 PM

Thanks you guys yeah ill try switching gas caps, I am located in Cupertino, anyone near by with a scanner? I am available tmrw. Let me know, thanks! I anyone with the scanner is going to wingstop tonight ill try getting out of my plans to make it there. Thanks.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:43 PM

Anyone In or around cupertino have an edu scanner? Or sj?
Old 12-23-2008, 09:57 PM

Try resetting the ECU. My car through a CEL and all i did was top off all fluids and tighten the gas cape. I was also at a half tank and thinking the same thing but did it anyways since it was easy. Then just cleared the light. It hasn't came on since and that was 2 months ago. It was wierd. I don't know why it came on but it hasn't been back. *knock on wood*
Old 12-24-2008, 07:34 PM

same thing happened to me. checked the cap with a smog machine. perfect. dropped it off at honda. they couldnt find anything and returned it back to me. i always click my gas cap at least 3 times so this was very odd to me and gas was about halfway through like you as well. so in conclusion nothing happened, just a bunch of wasted time.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:32 PM

hmm thanks for all the comments, yeah I did check everything at the time, and it all seemed fine... hmm im gonna try resetting my ecu tommorow when i have time.

madwackoops, did you reset your ecu, did your indicator ever go off/ was the problem resolved if you did nothing? thanks.
Old 12-25-2008, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by theonlineguy' date='Dec 24 2008, 11:32 PM
hmm thanks for all the comments, yeah I did check everything at the time, and it all seemed fine... hmm im gonna try resetting my ecu tommorow when i have time.

madwackoops, did you reset your ecu, did your indicator ever go off/ was the problem resolved if you did nothing? thanks.
honda reset my indicator, but it should go off after time. if its under warranty just take it to honda and ask them to reset it or you can also get a scanner and clear the codes yourself.

Quick Reply: NEED some advice, thanks.