California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Need some advice on my suspension issues

Old 02-03-2007, 03:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need some advice on my suspension issues

So I got PSS9 not too long ago and had it installed. I notice that the car is super slammed and too low for my taste. I start rubbing out of my front driver side. The alignment was totally out of whack and the car would pull hard to the right. About 10+/- days later, I bring it in for an alignment. After getting the alignment, the car didn't pull as hard, but it would gradually drift to the right. While getting the alignment done, I noticed that both sides were equally lowered, but the driver side sat lower. After raising up the driver side a bit to even it out, I got my alignment and went on my merry way.

Fast forward to a few days/1 week, I think my driver side is sitting lower than my passenger side. I go to check and sure enough, the driver front is like slammed while the passenger front still has about 1 finger room. Vu offers to help me even it out and re-do the alignment. So the week before JDM Theory, Vu helps me even out the height again in the front and in the rear. After all was said and done that Monday, the car was even despite the fact that there was more thread available on the driver side than there was on the passenger side.

FF to Friday of that week (3 days before JDM Theory), we throw it up on an alignment rack and notice the driver sat a pinch lower than where it was on Monday. Because we were pressed for time, we just did the alignment and went on with it. After the alignment, the car didn't pull to the right as hard as it use to. After letting go of the steering wheel, the car would gradually pull to the right, but it wasn't as hard or noticeable as before.

FF to yesterday (a week later), after parking my car at work, i notice my driver side is once again lower than the passenger side. The passenger side looks like it's the same height (1-1.5 finger gap) where as my driver side is so low, i can barely fit my pinky in there. Now when I let go of the steering wheel on the freeway, the car pulls harder to the right so i figure my alignment is off.. once again...

Can someone tell me why my driver side keeps "lowering" or settling on it's own but the passenger side stays the same? Is it common to have coils with uneven amount of threads remaining on both sides, but have the car sit level/even?

It's starting to piss me off that the driver side keeps doing this. Are my coils defective?
Old 02-03-2007, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if i remember correctly, the threads showing can be differnet at the same height do to preload and spring compression. However, ideally i'd safely assume that preload should be about the same both sides..

So what i'm saying is that you can't just measure threads, but you should also measure the spring.. and then the threads as well.. so that they look identical. So since you're doing this a second or third time, you should already know exactly how to want it - so the next time you try to install, just set the coils before you put them on the car..

did you buy the bilsteins brand new?

If all the measurements are right, then
off the top of my head, the only reason i could think of is possibly if you purchased your coils used, and the driver passenger side was replaced or something, and the springs hasn't been broken in yet..

Is this the same case for the rears as well?
Old 02-03-2007, 04:42 PM

you can check control arms and sway bars as well, making sure your sway bar isn't loose or anything.. but it shouldn't be unless you ran a curb or something.. those factors might make the car veer to the left or right..
Old 02-03-2007, 04:56 PM

tire pressure?
Old 02-03-2007, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by still,Feb 3 2007, 05:41 PM
if i remember correctly, the threads showing can be differnet at the same height do to preload and spring compression. However, ideally i'd safely assume that preload should be about the same both sides..

So what i'm saying is that you can't just measure threads, but you should also measure the spring.. and then the threads as well.. so that they look identical. So since you're doing this a second or third time, you should already know exactly how to want it - so the next time you try to install, just set the coils before you put them on the car..

did you buy the bilsteins brand new?

If all the measurements are right, then
off the top of my head, the only reason i could think of is possibly if you purchased your coils used, and the driver passenger side was replaced or something, and the springs hasn't been broken in yet..

Is this the same case for the rears as well?
Thanks for the suggestion.

I bought the coils new off a member.

I asked another friend of mine and he suggested that if one corner kept sagging, it could be a defective spring? Possible?

I think i'm ok on tire pressure. We adjusted it when we got the alignment done so that's good.
Old 02-03-2007, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by still,Feb 3 2007, 05:42 PM
you can check control arms and sway bars as well, making sure your sway bar isn't loose or anything.. but it shouldn't be unless you ran a curb or something.. those factors might make the car veer to the left or right..
pretty sure this isn't the case since I didn't run over any curbs or anything, but i'll double check. The car was fine until I dropped it then the whole veering to one side started.
Old 02-03-2007, 06:14 PM

Coilover leaking? Is the locking perch coming loose?

JIC's were known for that a few years back. When I got my Teins I received 2 front lefts and they had a hard time believing me so I had to take pics and send it to them.
Old 02-03-2007, 06:20 PM
Former Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Swap the two front springs. below is how I came to this conclusion

The alignment problem is due to uneven weight on the tires. I'm not sure what is allowable as far as spring sag or break in goes, but I would guess that half an inch difference per spring is too much.
If you can warranty your front springs that would be the best thing.

I think you've had them for a month if I remember correctly and that should be plenty of time.

Ah! one other thing. Do you like on ramps? If so you might just swap the two front springs and that might help to break them both in. I had to do this to my eibachs on my Camry due to on ramps.

Also make sure your caster is equal on both sides. They might have adjusted to help with the pulling issue. Less caster on the right..
Old 02-03-2007, 06:50 PM

lilazngrl, i have the EXACT same problem as you. i'm actually confused myself, because I've had the car realigned a couple times before it started veering to the right again. I bought my coils used as well, but they were practically new. Though my passenger side sat about one finger higher, i just started to ignore it. Let me know if you find a solution to it

maybe our coils were meant to be. hahaha
Old 02-03-2007, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by SOHCmyDOHC,Feb 3 2007, 07:14 PM
Coilover leaking? Is the locking perch coming loose?

JIC's were known for that a few years back. When I got my Teins I received 2 front lefts and they had a hard time believing me so I had to take pics and send it to them.
At first I thought the locking perch was coming loose, but it hasn't moved at all...

Quick Reply: Need some advice on my suspension issues