California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Need Help/Service Installing AP2 Tail Lights

Old 12-02-2012, 04:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need Help/Service Installing AP2 Tail Lights

Hi,

I have a set of AP2 tail lights that have been sitting in the garage for over a year now and after giving some final thought, I decided to put them to use and get them installed on my AP1.
Does anyone have experience in installing these tail lights?
If so, please PM me with your labor or wouldn't mind giving me a hand.

Thank you.
I am located in San Jose.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:06 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I've done this about 5 times now for local s2000 guys and it never gets easier.

You need proper cutting tools, eye protection and also you will need to re-wire your plugs since they are not the same between AP1 and AP2.

You can tackle it yourself (plan to spend 4+ hours) on it or if you want us to do it drop me a PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.spoonzauto.com/product_p/s2k-ap1toap2.htm
Old 12-02-2012, 05:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there's a diy on how to do everything
Old 12-02-2012, 08:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

if you have a buddy with an AP2, you can trace the frame for the tail lights onto a piece of paper/cardboard. Cut the holes out and match it to your frame. Using a dremel cut out the unnecessary metal. like s4play, it is not easy. gotta have a steady hand. body shops can do it. theres another guy on the forum that said that the AP1s are harness is plug n play with the AP2 tails... i'm not 100% sure.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:17 AM

use the foam piece on the ap2 tail light as a cut out.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:42 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by iDashX
if you have a buddy with an AP2, you can trace the frame for the tail lights onto a piece of paper/cardboard. Cut the holes out and match it to your frame. Using a dremel cut out the unnecessary metal. like s4play, it is not easy. gotta have a steady hand. body shops can do it. theres another guy on the forum that said that the AP1s are harness is plug n play with the AP2 tails... i'm not 100% sure.
Tom, there's a guy on Ebay who sells the adapters but forgot how much. Or you can grind it out but you take the risk of damaging the PCB
Old 12-03-2012, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by s4play
Originally Posted by iDashX' timestamp='1354512016' post='22186014
Tom, there's a guy on Ebay who sells the adapters but forgot how much. Or you can grind it out but you take the risk of damaging the PCB
if you dont wanna spend extra on the harness, they are plug and play except for the LED, you can pop off the head adapter and plug the red/white/black wire in separately(make sure to use electrical tape just in case so they dont touch).
Old 12-03-2012, 10:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look for Spoonz on the boards if you want a premade harness & some aluminum pre-drilled brackets to hold it in place. They used to run $75. They are totally not worth it in materials, but worth it in sense that you save time & you have something that is working off the bat/convenient to use.

In terms of cutting the rear to accomodate the lights - make sure to make the cut clean & tight - seal it up with some rubber trim/sealant as you risk the chance of allowing condensation to happen to the rear tail lights. Furthermore, someone once told me that there might be some structural issues with making those kinds of cuts back there but I doubt it or its negligible - just something to consider I suppose.

Goodluck!
Old 12-10-2012, 02:57 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by chViETnk
use the foam piece on the ap2 tail light as a cut out.

Quick Reply: Need Help/Service Installing AP2 Tail Lights