California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Need help naming computers

Old 10-22-2002, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It all depends on how many computers you have on the network. The biggest problem with any kind of naming convention is that eventually you run out of names if you are not careful. For example, if you start out with "Snow White", you'll find that you run out of names after 10 or so. As long as you know you will NEVER have more than 10 computers on your network, then "Snow White" will work just fine (or Simpson, MASH, Sports Teams, or ...).

Another route is to "sub-net" the network and give each sub-net it's own naming convention but still maintain a global theme. Let's say you choose to use car model names, then one sub-net can be the Toyota net and you'd have names like Corolla, Camery, Celica, Crown, etc. Another sub-net can be the Honda net and you'd have names like S2000, Pilot, Civic, etc. Each sub-net has a limited range of names, but you can always mix up the sub-net naming convention.

For larger networks, obviously the safe way is to go the boring route: XYZ123 (just like the license plates). If you want something that is not boring but still "infinite", then any kind of geographical name is always good: cities, rivers, lakes, mountains, etc..
Old 10-22-2002, 03:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We use sea creatures where I work: octopus,cuttlefish,clam,squid,muscles,seaslug,lemo nshark,anemone,lionfish,etc...
Old 10-22-2002, 03:22 PM

Originally posted by boughtans2k
Please don't do StarTrek. I've just finished getting rid of the domain Federation with all of the crap that goes with it when you name stuff all cute. Let's see I had Enterpise_C, Enterpise_D, Enterpise_E, Voyager, DS9, Warf, Spock, Kirk, Bones and a few others what a PITA to remember what is what. I guess the guy before me had a reason for it his name was Kirk James and he did have a sense of humor the sales people's machines were various Ferengi and the mail server was O'Hura and one of the firewalls was Warf.
So who did V'ger belong to?
( I need to get a life)
Old 10-22-2002, 10:53 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by regretless
[B]Cool... thanks for the suggestions guys... Any others?

I was however, one tiny step away from considering using screennames from S2ki.
Old 10-22-2002, 11:11 PM

Originally posted by boughtans2k
Please don't do StarTrek. I've just finished getting rid of the domain Federation with all of the crap that goes with it when you name stuff all cute. Let's see I had Enterpise_C, Enterpise_D, Enterpise_E, ...

Let's do Austin Powers then! PreparationA, PreparationB, PreparationC, ... , PreparationH...
Old 10-23-2002, 03:28 AM

Received 195 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally posted by abzug

So who did V'ger belong to?
( I need to get a life)
I think to one of the programmers who was the only one who liked the show when it first came out.
Old 10-23-2002, 04:38 AM

Originally posted by abzug
Not as good as everyone else suggestions, but I usually name most of the computers here at work using domestic and international cities names.
One of our Networks at work used to be named using domestic and international BEERS! No kidding!
Old 10-23-2002, 09:41 AM

national parks
Old 10-23-2002, 10:00 AM

I always thought it would be kind of cool to name computers after diseases like Typhus, Bubonic, Anthrax, and so on, but the Anthrax scare a year ago made those not politically correct.

It would also be interesting to use poisons like strychnine, arsenic, chloroform, tobacco, and so on.
Old 10-23-2002, 10:44 AM

What do non-english speaking IT departments tend to use?

Quick Reply: Need help naming computers