California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Need Cyrogenic shop

Old 04-08-2007, 03:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Cyrogenic shop

I'm thinking of gettin the 4.77 gears from kia and would like to know of a shop that could cyro treat it. Any recomendations?
Old 04-08-2007, 04:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try these guys, Talk to John. They work with a few of the NASA guys running in the 25 hour endurance races @ Thunderhill:

http://www.300degrees.com

9845 Bigge St, Oakland Ca 94603

G'luck.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:34 AM

Received 1,566 Likes on 1,437 Posts

Originally Posted by RedlinedITR,Apr 8 2007, 04:38 PM
Try these guys, Talk to John. They work with a few of the NASA guys running in the 25 hour endurance races @ Thunderhill:

http://www.300degrees.com

9845 Bigge St, Oakland Ca 94603

G'luck.
Hmmm. . . they do French Horns too. . .

Thanks Anish!
Old 04-09-2007, 09:36 AM

What is the benefit of cryo-treating the gears, anyway?
Old 04-09-2007, 09:49 AM

"Deep cryogenic processing is available to enhance the wear resistance of many materials. Put simply, the process decreases the wear rate of a material making it last a significantly longer time."

ive seen people do it to everything they can, gears, lsd,clutch flywheels.

dont know what it benefits the most or if there is a downfall to doing it to certain parts?
Old 04-09-2007, 09:53 AM

thank you

that helps me more than you know
Old 04-10-2007, 12:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 8D_In_Trunk,Apr 9 2007, 11:34 AM
Hmmm. . . they do French Horns too. . .

Thanks Anish!
haha.. i don't want to know your plans for that thing.

What is the benefit of cryo-treating the gears, anyway?
ive seen people do it to everything they can, gears, lsd,clutch flywheels.

dont know what it benefits the most or if there is a downfall to doing it to certain parts?
I don't really call it a downfall to the process, but most MEs (RWD_ROCKET, my dumb self, Vu to a point as well) will be able to tell ya that cryo treatment is one time treatment, this makes the material undoable to it's original state. It doesn't just change the surface like a coating, it actually changes the (gulp, big word...) molecular bonds.

All worked metal has stresses internally (unless they are single grains I think.. like those fins on turbine engines). Stresses can be relieved via heating and cooling at certain rates.

(There are other treatments out there besides cryo, like heat treating, the art of quenching (that does not mean drinking a gatorade)- swords were quenched after being struck by blacksmiths, that may be something you've seen in a movie.. that's one type of treatment).

*** Partially Nerdy Part ***

Typically parts crack or fracture were bonds are weak or non existant. As the temperature of this part gets colder, there is less entropy (molecular disorder or disturbance lets say) and the molecular bonds are brought to be tighter (closer).

** End partial nerdiness

Benefits: Better dimentional tolerances and stability (when done before final machining.. gets you a better surface finish too! Yes.. that could mean less friction for parts!), reduced galling, wear, warping, cracking, but... if you drop the rotor on the floor while installing it.. it'll still dent.

Dis-advantages: ... um. You have to pay for the process.

They started using this process in the fifties and sixties in NASA according to an old material science teacher of mine.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^good info
Old 04-10-2007, 09:31 AM

Received 1,566 Likes on 1,437 Posts

Originally Posted by RedlinedITR,Apr 10 2007, 12:13 AM
haha.. i don't want to know your plans for that thing.
The same structural rigidity benefits for car parts also benefit musical instruments. I've played a cryo'd Horn (before and after) and the difference is not subtle. The notes are more focused, the "overload" frequency and node of the brass becomes more predictable, and it holds it's intonation more reliably (as the brass heats up and cools down in a more stable manner).

For $95, it can add a level of playability that I'd have to shell out a couple of G's to get otherwise.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:43 PM

thanks for the link on that shop! i'm going to get some of my cnc router bits cryogen'd.. they are usually only good for 100-120 boards before the finish starts to chip. eager to see how much longer they last after getting treated.

and for the OP - i had my 4.77 gears cryogen'd .. well actually i had them thermal cycled like a 24 hour process, but cryogen is still better than nothing. the place that did it is in florida though. i recommend doing the cryogen.

Quick Reply: Need Cyrogenic shop