California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Neat little accessory to make your oil changes so much easier!

Old 03-26-2013, 09:41 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Old 03-26-2013, 09:43 PM

Received 98 Likes on 73 Posts

< foolish

nay sayers!?

Does this nay sayer look foolish to you? ^^^
Old 03-26-2013, 09:46 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tkeyyy
^ btw casey, it looks like someone just placed it there. that big of a 'flat' boulder/rock in the middle of the road, makes no sense at all.

i don't think your situation applies to anyone else since they don't have spoon x-braces

seems like you hit that rock pretty hard for the brace to look like that
The soggy foggy conditions out there cause weird land slides that sometime just separate big rocks from the scarred cliffs. It doesn't help that Cal-Trans tries to cut back the foliage along the side of the road and clear cuts the face of the mountain, causing inevitable land slides. It's like they are creating work for themselves sometimes. The night I ran into that boulder was a foggy night, and I was going about 35MPH in a 50MPH zone, was just pulling out of the vista point, not even up to speed.

Originally Posted by andrewhake
Originally Posted by Thateguhate' timestamp='1364352224' post='22431016
I agree.. That's alot of damage considering and in my 3 years of solid moto riding through many backroads I never once encountered a boulder that large square in the middle of the lane.
In the first 2 months of driving the bay area mountains I had close calls with more rocks and mini boulders than I can even count. Consider yourself extraordinarily lucky sir. I have driven over some pretty brutal rock minefields that were strewn along the entire width of the road. And discarded safety flare minefields, and roadkill minefields..

It's those rascally deer that seem to cause big rocks to fall into the road. I have seen it first hand on multiple roads. They are just doing their deer thing crossing the road and then they climb the steep face near the road and knock all sorts of crap onto the road. I have tried to get the bay area deer to where orange safety vests and learn some circuit stewarding skills but they just don't have the attention span for it.
You mauling the flare minefield was spectacular to watch!

Oh god, the stuff I've seen in the hills in the years. Once almost broadsided a cow on Alpine road when the herd at my friend's property knocked down a fence and decided to take a moonlight stroll along the centerline.

Also on lower Alpine in the redwood groves, more than once, I've come around the turn to see gargantuan redwood tree sitting laterally across the road, and the adjacent creek. You can still see several of these trees spanning the creek. Makes for a nice bridge (or a safe balance beam if you want to get out your gymnast leotard and practice a few moves).
Old 03-26-2013, 10:01 PM
Former Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jr94513
Old 03-26-2013, 10:08 PM

< foolish

nay sayers!?

LOL, maybe if that guy wasn't horsing around hoof-footing the throttle, he wouldn't be busting oil pans left and right!
Old 03-26-2013, 10:29 PM
Former Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by eklipz98
LOL, maybe if that guy wasn't horsing around hoof-footing the throttle, he wouldn't be busting oil pans left and right!
Even a horse can't avoid a rock wearing Nike ultra fast running shoes.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep same product

Originally Posted by tkeyyy
fumoto valve. the only disadvantage of it from what i've experienced, is that oil drains a lot slower so make sure you have some time on your hands to keep yourself busy
i'll remember that next time i let the oil drain, probably go cook a meal or something in between.

Originally Posted by Thateguhate
Yeah thats cool and all but I don't know.. I mean depending on how hard that switch is to open the valve i'd use one. I'd hate to catch some road debris and have it open it by accident or even vibrate open... Anyone here use one?
the valve isnt hella easy to open nor do i think vibration could open it, if you are concerned with it accidentally opening they sell a safety ring for .50 cents that you can clamp on.

Originally Posted by Voodoo_S2K
I've had one installed for more miles then are on most of your cars and it has never failed on me. I've gone on offroad excursions before and never an issue.

Two things I like about.

1. Easy oil changes. I slide an oil drain pan under my car, lean over and open up the value. I go inside, watch tv, come back later, and close the value. Easy as cake.

2. Never have to worry about myself or anyone else accidentally over torquing the bolt.
same 2 reasons that came to mind for me as well, i mean it just makes it convenient and its like 30 bucks? chump change

Originally Posted by eklipz98
Originally Posted by andrewhake' timestamp='1364343452' post='22430703
My opinion is that oil changes just aren't that hard, and that is just an extra bit of metal hanging off my engine that doesn't need to be there.
Oh yes, and that extra bit of metal hanging off the engine's oil pan could become a serious issue if the stars are aligned incorrectly...

Case in point:

Honestly, I do believe that this part introduces "unnecessary risk".
I was that 0.000001% that had the absolute perfect storm for the valve to be an actual liability.
Granted, this incident occurred in the context of having a spoon x-brace, which reduced ground clearance immediately below the valve.

The size of a boulder needed to impact a spoon x-brace sufficient to enter the oil drain valve into the "crumple zone":

The display of damage to the valve and oil pan. Notice how the valve protrudes farther away from the oil pain than the OEM drain bolt would. And notice how the impact of the bent spoon x-brace has forced the valve at an upward angle, which ended up putting stress on the pan, thus cracking it:

A bit closer look:

Note that the orientation of the valve was correct originally, and it was freely spinning after the area of the pan with the drain port threads was literally cracked in half.
ouch! you get everything all fixed?
Old 03-26-2013, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by s2k0utlaw
ouch! you get everything all fixed?
Yes sir.

Joey saved me!
Old 03-27-2013, 06:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

< foolish

nay sayers!?

Can't tell, is that a jackass or a donkey
Old 03-27-2013, 08:55 AM

Make note of the ears. Horses have dorky ears. Donkeys have a proper set of jackrabbit ears.

Quick Reply: Neat little accessory to make your oil changes so much easier!