California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Neat little accessory to make your oil changes so much easier!

Old 03-26-2013, 03:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Neat little accessory to make your oil changes so much easier!

So i took the s2k to the shop yesterday to get transmission/differential/engine fluid service done. While i was there they showed me this new product they just got and its a neat little brass valve ($27) that replaces your engine oil pan drain bolt. This valve makes oil changes sooooooo much easier and cleaner! You can open and close the drain by a twist of the lever that locks the ball type valve, Unfortunately for the s2000 you need to buy the $6 adapter piece so the valve can clear the oil pan, It also has a nipple attachment that allows you to connect a hose to one end and drain it into your oil pan or oil bottles! I will not be pouring the oil carefully and spilling oil everywhere again! LOL

Anyways I just thought i would share this new accessory of mine with you guys, since theres alot of DIYer's here. Im pretty sure if some of you guys wanted it they would not have a issue sticking them in the mail. Well heres the pics of it installed.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is that the same one they sell at js2k.com?
Old 03-26-2013, 04:17 PM

Received 98 Likes on 73 Posts

This has been around for a very long time. My opinion is that oil changes just aren't that hard, and that is just an extra bit of metal hanging off my engine that doesn't need to be there.

I don't think there are any instances of these valves failing. But the only mod I would make to my drain plug is making it more difficult to disconnect. (Plug with small hole to secure in place with wire/spring)
Old 03-26-2013, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.js2k.com/index.php?main_p...products_id=13
Old 03-26-2013, 04:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

fumoto valve. the only disadvantage of it from what i've experienced, is that oil drains a lot slower so make sure you have some time on your hands to keep yourself busy
Old 03-26-2013, 04:27 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah thats cool and all but I don't know.. I mean depending on how hard that switch is to open the valve i'd use one. I'd hate to catch some road debris and have it open it by accident or even vibrate open... Anyone here use one?
Old 03-26-2013, 04:54 PM
Former Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I think Michon has one as well as Vu and I'm sure there's others.

I'll never get one, I prefer having a magnetic plug although there's never anything on it lol
Old 03-26-2013, 04:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Thateguhate
Yeah thats cool and all but I don't know.. I mean depending on how hard that switch is to open the valve i'd use one. I'd hate to catch some road debris and have it open it by accident or even vibrate open... Anyone here use one?
can't vibrate open and debris can't open it. it's simple enough to open, but requires a certain amount of force
Old 03-26-2013, 05:11 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tkeyyy
Originally Posted by Thateguhate' timestamp='1364344067' post='22430732
can't vibrate open and debris can't open it. it's simple enough to open, but requires a certain amount of force
I see.. Mac brings up a good point though. Looking for shavings is something I do every time... I'll stick to my crush washers.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had one installed for more miles then are on most of your cars and it has never failed on me. I've gone on offroad excursions before and never an issue.

Two things I like about.

1. Easy oil changes. I slide an oil drain pan under my car, lean over and open up the value. I go inside, watch tv, come back later, and close the value. Easy as cake.

2. Never have to worry about myself or anyone else accidentally over torquing the bolt.

Quick Reply: Neat little accessory to make your oil changes so much easier!