California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

NASA Sears Point - Feb 2 and 3 ($179/day, $299 both days) - All HPDE 1-4 groups.

Old 01-17-2002, 09:29 AM
pll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by BigRedDog

4-20min session? hmm. thats a big difference.. what would cause it to be only 4 min?? I'm in though.. just as Kelvin said.. if the weather is good.. i'll prolly sign up closer to the event.. is there a limit?
Four 20 minute session (ie 80 minutes on the track)
Old 01-17-2002, 09:50 AM

Originally posted by gilcwong

Four 20 minute session (ie 80 minutes on the track)
Well, 20 min a session is the max. You will be out sooner if you get black flagged or accident happened and they need to close the track.
Old 01-17-2002, 03:00 PM
pll

Anyway, it looks like I'll be busy that weekend. I'll catch you guys at the next NASA event.
Old 01-17-2002, 03:30 PM

Uh-oh Gil, Did you pick up a new time-waster like Final Fantasy X? I've still to finish that one.
Old 01-17-2002, 07:42 PM

{disclaimer: I don't drive an S2000 but there is one in the family so any help is appreciated}

Hey I'm a NASA newbie can someone help me with a little info on how their groups usually shake out?

This will be my first time driving Sears but I've got a good deal of track experience at Thill, Laguna, Buttonwillow and Willow.

Depending upon the track organization, I'm usually in the fastest non-race/non-instructor group. I know I'll need a few sessions to learn the line but do they move people up to a new group during the HPDE? With only four sessions it would be a real drag being stuck in a slow group and fighting traffic.

If someone has done the Thill street school I would be interested in comparison between their C group and the 3 and 4 groups at NASA events.

Thanks, and mybe I'll see some of you folks there.
Old 01-18-2002, 08:31 AM

always laughing - group 3 is fast traffic, liberal passing rules. group 4 is fast traffic, open passing.

I might not be able to go to this one to drive, my wallet is killing me!
Old 01-18-2002, 11:06 AM

I just signed up Brian for group 3 Saturday. I am going to tag along, take care of the car, and otherwise get in the way of his good judgement. The following weekend I will be driving at Thunderhill in the Tracquest event.
Old 01-18-2002, 11:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Mike Schuster
I just signed up Brian for group 3 Saturday. I am going to tag along, take care of the car, and otherwise get in the way of his good judgement. The following weekend I will be driving at Thunderhill in the Tracquest event.
COOL!! Look forward to seeing you and brian at the track again. What a lucky kid...having a dad like you.
Old 01-18-2002, 01:55 PM

BigRed,

If I was you I would do my first event with either SCCA at Thunderhill or someone like Trac Quest. No walls at Thunderhill. Also, you will get a lot more instruction which is good for your first time. I did two SCCA schools and a BMWCCA school before I did a NASA event. I run in Group 3 and am also a NASA Official. There are lots of walls at Sears now and not much room for error. Not a great place for a first timer.

As for changing groups, you simply ask your group leader and then the group leader of the other group. If there is room, they will let you move.

Group 3 is pretty good but you have to watch yourself. There are some very regular guys who behave themselves but a few wild ones on occassion. Though point by's aren't necessary they are advisable. I have been out in 4 and that is just racing. Guys pass everywhere. I can go plenty fast in three and it is a little more restrained. Some guys think 3 is the most dangerous because guys "think" they are good.

I haven't driven Sears with the new configuration. I may try to get up there one day. I can hardly wait for the construction to finish and to have the whole track back with new asphalt.
Old 01-18-2002, 03:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by E34M5
[B]BigRed,

Quick Reply: NASA Sears Point - Feb 2 and 3 ($179/day, $299 both days) - All HPDE 1-4 groups.