California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

my MY04 got rearended in Fremont. Any advice?

Old 02-24-2005, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hpark,Feb 24 2005, 06:04 PM
yeah, i'm also curious why you're so willing to work it out with this person? are you friends with this person or know this person well? cause i'd be PISSSSSSSSSSED someone not only hit my car while PARKED but then decided to RUN OFF.

Though I'd be willing to take ~$5000 in unmarked $20's to forgive and forget
Trust me. I am extremely pissed about the whole thing, and I could be very vicious too if i wanted to.

I dont' know her too well, but at least i knew her face, and she knew me. When this old lady (mid 50's or older... my mom's age) was apologizing, almost crying with the head of security (and her friend) begging me to work it out with her, I just couldn't help but be nice.

I am definitely taking out my anger and frustration to the insurance company and going after them though. I hope i can get something out of them.

p.s. it's still confusing to me how the cop handled this though. I thought hit and run was a serious crime.... hm...
Old 02-24-2005, 06:53 PM

^ i think you should just go with your insurance. even though she maybe your coworker and in her mid 50's, looks can be deceiving... imagine if it was the other way around. she would cared less and she would definitely go straight to her insurance... sounds mean but it is true.
Old 02-24-2005, 08:53 PM

get someone to pay for the rental. My car is still in the shop (seven weeks! @_@ ) and now I'm paying enterprise out of my pocket. It's not cheap, even at 25 a day.

forget the honda dealer if there is body work to be done, they're just going to farm that work out to someone else---and usually not your choice of shop. I used autowest honda in fremont, and they use magnussen's, but all I have to say is these people are *slow*. I have no idea of the quality of work, but hopefully I will soon.

and get this all written up. Take notes as your claim progresses, whether it's formal (insurance) or informal (taking it one on one with your coworker). Just remember to cover your ass.
Old 02-25-2005, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by jinuoppa,Feb 24 2005, 10:29 PM
When this old lady (mid 50's or older... my mom's age) was apologizing, almost crying with the head of security (and her friend) begging me to work it out with her, I just couldn't help but be nice.
Don't let your coworker's theatrics bother you too much.

Remember, she hit your car and ran off -- you would be royally screwed if an eyewitness didn't come forward.

However, when she is publically identified as the culprit, then she feels bad about it and the waterworks begin.

Yeah, right.

Old 02-25-2005, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by S2000 Driver,Feb 25 2005, 06:45 AM
Don't let your coworker's theatrics bother you too much.

Remember, she hit your car and ran off -- you would be royally screwed if an eyewitness didn't come forward.

However, when she is publically identified as the culprit, then she feels bad about it and the waterworks begin.

Yeah, right.

exactly. she didn't show too much remorse when she hit-and-ran... but only when she was caught did she start crying... because she was busted.

she wasn't sorry that she hit your car. she's sorry that she got caught. selfish, slimy dishonest b*tch.

I'd report this to insurance, HR, the police...
Old 02-25-2005, 07:20 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jinuoppa,Feb 24 2005, 05:00 PM
yeah, i am.

Know any good shop in the east bay, bro ??

So far I have

1. Quality Auto Craft, Pleasanton
2. Magnussen Car West Autobody, Dublin or Fremont
3. EMC Collision

I guess i will just pick one and just go.
Livermore Collision Center 925-443-2848. They do good work there.
Old 02-25-2005, 08:18 AM

I've got to say the way the police officer handled this is not very impressive -- in fact, it really bugs me!

Although you really can't say anything about it at this point -- you don't want to alienate him.

Old 02-25-2005, 08:29 AM
5Gs

[QUOTE=RWD_RCKT,Feb 24 2005, 06:10 PM]While I definitely agree that going with the insurance company is the only way to go, always try to solve this diplomatically.
Old 02-25-2005, 08:43 AM

Call Precision in Pleasanton - they'll have good recomendations. It's better to be diplomatic (but I would be skeptical about any excuses at the same time). You never know who she might be friends with... I'm pretty sure the cops want nothing to do with it since it was on private property. Getting a police report is a good idea. Forcing the proof of doctor's appointment is not neccesary immediately since she said it in front of the head of security (get a statement). I would note down all the time spent dealing with this and charge a fair amount for this also. Another thing I might negotiate is also an amount of money held in trust for a certain amount of time (6mo, 1 yr) in case any other problems with your car arises that is related to the accident. That way, if an issue was missed that causes future problems, there will be money to pay for it. If the time expires, the insurance company will get their money back. When I was in a car accident, the other person's insurance company did this for any possible injuries. I didn't need it , but it was reassuring to know that it was there.
Old 02-25-2005, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by lukemc01,Feb 25 2005, 12:43 PM
I would note down all the time spent dealing with this and charge a fair amount for this also.
Unfortunately, you won't get a dime for your time.

That's the irony of accidents: the victim is the one who has to incur all the time and hassle.

The best way to minimize this is to turn it over to your insurance company ASAP and let them deal with it.

Quick Reply: my MY04 got rearended in Fremont. Any advice?