California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

my MY04 got rearended in Fremont. Any advice?

Old 02-23-2005, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my MY04 got rearended in Fremont. Any advice?

Someone hit my car and ran today while the car was parked at work (in Fremont). Fortunately, my coworker witnessed the whole thing and even got the license plate number. It turns out the culprit is also my coworker, and the police officer wants me to just work it out with him, which i don't mind. But i thought this was a clear hit and run ????? hm....

Upon visual inspection, the rear bumper will certainly have to replaced, and the trunk looks slightly bent (right side sits slightly higher, and it opens a little harder now).

anyhow, where's the best place to take my car to in the area, and got any advice? Honda Dealer or reputable body shop ? How long are we looking at here for the repair? I work in fremont and live in livermore.

Thanks. I am a bit clueless as this is the first car incident that happened to me.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:09 PM

Find a body shop that will give you a loaner vehicle.

Sorry bout your car.
Old 02-24-2005, 08:36 AM

Sorry about your car. If insurance is involved, then the loaner car should be paid by the other guy's insurance company along with the repairs. If insurance is not involved, then make sure the other guy pays for your loaner as well as the repairs. The tricky part with private party is that they may agree to pay for a loaner for N number of days, but if the repair is not done after that, then you must pay for the loaner yourself. Insurance companies are usually more accomodating if the repair takes longer than planned. So I'd suggest getting your insurance company involved as soon as possible. Good luck.
Old 02-24-2005, 09:11 AM

thanks for the input, guys.

I am still waiting for the lady to contact me. I will give her 10 more min. , and will walk over to her cube.

any recommendation of good bodyshops? Would Honda dealer be a good choice? Do bumpers come pre-painted ? If it is just the bumper, can it be a simple bumper swap at the dealer with no painting involved, my car being only 7 months old and all ??

Thanks
Old 02-24-2005, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by jinuoppa,Feb 24 2005, 01:27 AM
It turns out the culprit is also my coworker, and the police officer wants me to just work it out with him, which i don't mind. But i thought this was a clear hit and run ????? hm....
But you do have a written police report clearly stating who was at fault (your co-worker) including the name of your co-worker and his Insurance Company name and policy number, correct?

You have to cover yourself here because people have a way of being afflicted with selective amnesia in cases like this.

If you can't work it out privately to your COMPLETE satisfaction with your co-worker, do not hesitate to engage your insurance company and provide them with your co-worker's name, insurance company, policy number, and fax them the police report, as well as a couple of written repair estimates plus written rental car estimates (for a vehicle as comparable to the S2000 as possible for the duration of time the collision shop estimates it will take). With this documentation your insurance company will have all it needs to get your co-worker's insurance company to pay up. This should not cost you a dime and your insurance premium should not be impacted whatsover.

Net/Net: Don't allow yourself to get jerked around by your co-worker. Sounds like an untrustworthy person to begin with since he was trying to leave you high and dry had it not been for the eyewitness.

Personally, I would go STRAIGHT to my insurance company and let them deal with it rather than have to chase around trying to get reimbursed by a dishonest person!
Old 02-24-2005, 09:53 AM

I had my car hit an ran a couple months ago. I would just have your witness file a police report with you and turn that over to your insurance, and let them go after it. It was pretty painless. My insurance company went after the other party. I got a rental car from their insurance and it took about a week to have my car repaired.
Old 02-24-2005, 09:54 AM

Please do yourself a favor and call your insurance company RIGHT NOW and let the insurance companies deal with this. This doesn't look like it's a minor scrape that'll be fixed for a couple of hundred dollars.....easily could be over $1000 when all is done right.
I don't understand how working at the same place means you can trust someone to pay you hundreds/thousands of dollars in cash? Do you even know this person?
Old 02-24-2005, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by JDMwhore,Feb 24 2005, 01:53 PM
I would just have your witness file a police report with you and turn that over to your insurance, and let them go after it.
Old 02-24-2005, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by hpark,Feb 24 2005, 01:54 PM
Please do yourself a favor and call your insurance company RIGHT NOW and let the insurance companies deal with this.

I don't understand how working at the same place means you can trust someone to pay you hundreds/thousands of dollars in cash?
Old 02-24-2005, 12:15 PM

So, company security is heavily involved in this as well, and they arranged a meeting btw me and the lady who's responsible. She said she knew she hit my car, she wrote down my plate number, and that she was in a hurry to a doc appt. Whateva.

We contacted her insurance and i have the claim number now.
My friends are telling me I should claim loss of value in my 7month old s2k as well. Does anyone have experience with this ?

I am still waiting for the bodyshop recommendatin guys. any one ???

Thanks a lot.

Quick Reply: my MY04 got rearended in Fremont. Any advice?