California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

My Joys of driving....

Old 10-29-2010, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Bro in law is a Service writer for Toyota. He said you can get the advertised mileage out of the Prius but only if you baby the crap out of it. Don't expect to get that if you drive it like normal (like 80+ mph for Rob-2) or you will not get nearly that.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:14 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

my co-worker drives her parents' Prius, and I'm scared riding with her because she drives like a 90 year old woman. She gets the advertised mpg.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:58 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Well I now get why they (hybrid drivers) drive so slow. The darn thing has to be floored off the line to pull away like a normal car. Otherwise the ECU tries to keep you 'green'.

Offtrack - in fairness I was in cruise

I would have taken a different car but it was this or a Caliber which lacks on the interior and has some funny tranny; yes I've driven it before.

I've got another 400 miles to drive so I'll report back. So far I don't buy the hype.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rob-2,Oct 29 2010, 09:58 AM
Offtrack - in fairness I was in cruise :
Hahahahaha....... Funny! I always feel like I get passed by more Hybrids and mini vans than anything else. Makes me wonder why they (the hybrid drivers) paid the premium for them if they weren't going to drive them in a manner required to get the maximum mileage out of them. I figured the mini van drivers were just husbands that were pissed off cause they had to drive a mini van.....

On a similar note......just saw a Tesla on Stevens Creek at lunch. Sooo nice!
Old 10-29-2010, 05:49 PM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Offtrack,Oct 29 2010, 12:10 PM
On a similar note......just saw a Tesla on Stevens Creek at lunch. Sooo nice!
I drove by the dealership last week and had to change my pants.
Old 10-31-2010, 11:34 AM

Well I'm back 39.4mpg average with an average speed of 49mph. So it's well off it's stated 60mpg.

For a point of comparison on the same trip in my S I would average 24-25mpg.

For all the technology in this car the results are disappointing. I will attempt a diesel next time and estimate it at 40-50mpg.
Old 10-31-2010, 11:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow. you guys drive way fast. do 70 in a prius and you'll probably get like 40-50. if you do the epa rated 55-65 mph you'll get what you see on the sticker depending on conditions.
Old 10-31-2010, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Noodler,Oct 31 2010, 12:40 PM
wow. you guys drive way fast. do 70 in a prius and you'll probably get like 40-50. if you do the epa rated 55-65 mph you'll get what you see on the sticker depending on conditions.
This doesn't seem to add up though. If I drive the same speed in the S, as I did the prius I get the EPA claimed MPG of 26. Give or take some variation, I figure 25mpg is almost spot on.

Similarly, I used to drive a Acura TL, rated at 29mpg freeway and would regularly get 30-33.

I'm really harping on the prius here. I think diesel would be better.
Old 10-31-2010, 12:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The electric engine only works when it's below a certain speed. That is where the Prius gets it's advertised MPG. If it's on the highway, only the gas engine powers the car. So basically the car gets MPG of the gas engine and the electric engine is not used.

The Prius or other hybrids gets great MPG when it's in the city with stop and go traffic. It isn't great for the highway. Which is why I don't get how hybrids are issued carpool stickers. They should be in the stop and go traffic with everyone where it gets great MPG.
Old 10-31-2010, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by S2KN05,Oct 31 2010, 01:31 PM
The electric engine only works when it's below a certain speed. That is where the Prius gets it's advertised MPG. If it's on the highway, only the gas engine powers the car. So basically the car gets MPG of the gas engine and the electric engine is not used.

The Prius or other hybrids gets great MPG when it's in the city with stop and go traffic. It isn't great for the highway. Which is why I don't get how hybrids are issued carpool stickers. They should be in the stop and go traffic with everyone where it gets great MPG.
So I thought this to. Until I started to watch and drive the car.

Full Electric <25mph possible
Combo electric/gas attempting to favor electric 25mph +
WOT both gas/electric

The pruis runs as a electric car assisted by a gas motor. The honda platform runs as a gas motor assisted by an electric.

So while driving the prius at 45mph the disply shows both gas/electric driving the wheels. While drivin 80-90mph the same holds true. The only motor that cuts out is the gas at certain speeds or throttle positions.

The problem I see with the prius design is that in the city you have to drive like a grandma off the light. More than 1/3 throttle and you get the gas motor starting up. It seems the electric system is undersized.

I did notice that the best MPG was in the city and is what brought the 32 up to a 39. Keeping the car in EV mode is almost impossible unless going down a hill.

Just my experience. I was also driving it in ECO mode which I couldn't figure out what that actually did. Power mode had the gas motor running more in the city.

Quick Reply: My Joys of driving....