California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

My HID died :(

Old 01-18-2003, 03:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My HID died :(

Tonight, I was driving around and everything was fine, and then after one particular stop at the beach, I start up, turn on the lights and proceed. I notice the passenger side beam is flickering and then it eventually stops, so I think nothing of it. When I get home, I find that the passenger side HID is gone out!!
What do I do now?? Is this even covered under warranty? It's only a year and a half old, and those of you who know me, know that I don't take the S out much at all. Why me?!??!

[Me, and Brandon cleared our diffusers out homemade style with Kelvin back in fall '01. The lights have been working fine since then, so I doubt this has any significance, but just making sure I don't leave anything out.]

Please tell me, I wont have to break out the checkbook for this one??? not to mention having to take off the bumper and all the nuts n bolts all over again. You get all fired up and excited to do all that labor when u first clear out your lights for the first time, but once it's been done, the zeal is definitely gone.
Old 01-18-2003, 07:57 AM

Have a look at your warranty book. Several things are listed as normal wear items, including tires and lights.

Maybe you can talk your dealer into replacing the light anyway as a good will gesture.
Old 01-18-2003, 10:26 AM

Yeah, it's just that wear in such a small amount of time, when I hardly drive the car, I'm thinking that's kinda unreasonable. But yes you're more than likely right, they're probably not going to be responsible, even though I believe I got a lemon.
Old 01-18-2003, 10:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My drivers side headlamp did that once. I found that the next day it worked fine.
Old 01-18-2003, 03:18 PM

Both of mine have done that at one time or another. I shut them off and wait for a second and they work when I try them again. This has happened to each of them once. Have you tried them since the problem?
Old 01-18-2003, 03:28 PM
Spammer

If you gotta bust open the checkbook, i think it will cost no more than $200. I think you may have a Xenon bulb failure, a $200 dealer replacement. The S2000 is a D2S? so any D2S bulb will do, just match the kelvin with the stock on 4200K??
Or take it to hopkins and they should be able to warranty you HIDs.
Old 01-18-2003, 03:33 PM

Originally posted by boiler
Both of mine have done that at one time or another. I shut them off and wait for a second and they work when I try them again. This has happened to each of them once. Have you tried them since the problem?
Yeah I've tried it since - no luck.
Old 01-22-2003, 10:49 AM

Mine stopped working one day as well. I brought it in and it was something else, like a relay or something and it was warrantied.
Old 01-22-2003, 06:40 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

There is a problem with the lights that is fairly well documented on this site that ONE of the lights (I cand remember which side) goes out and comes back with no problem.

Not a wearing out issue (for this problem) but something electronic. Happened to me ONE time (that I know of).
Old 01-26-2003, 01:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My passenger went out, took it to the dealer and they replaced it under warranty.

Quick Reply: My HID died :(