California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Mugen Hardtop

Old 01-29-2015, 06:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mugen Hardtop

Hello everyone, I just purchased an authentic mugen hard top and the rear window isn't installed. Was wondering if anyone in the bay area have ever installed one before and willing to give me a helping hand. Thanks.

************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** *

UPDATED.

Finally go the chance to put the hardtop all together and installed on my car.

Now I have issues with water leaking from the bottom seal on the hardtop where it meets the trunk. For example if I spray water through the gap, water will come into the cabin. Also water is leaking from the driver and passenger side corner window where it meets with the front windshield.

All the hardware and brackets I am using is what it came with, what seems to be all OEM.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:13 PM

the trick is you need a rope that is about the same size as the molding gap thats going to be touching the hardtop side and then you mount the molding onto the window then wrap the rope around the molding then place it on the hardtop, you will need another person to align and push the window down as you pull the rope and the molding will go in place. i can help if you wanna come to sf
Old 01-29-2015, 09:05 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by chViETnk
the trick is you need a rope that is about the same size as the molding gap thats going to be touching the hardtop side and then you mount the molding onto the window then wrap the rope around the molding then place it on the hardtop, you will need another person to align and push the window down as you pull the rope and the molding will go in place. i can help if you wanna come to sf
That's a pretty damn good idea man, I'll keep that in mind when I replace my garbage seal that's on there right now.
Old 01-29-2015, 09:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this works
Old 01-30-2015, 06:26 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Here's the rope trick on video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvcJ_lU_VpQ
Old 01-30-2015, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by 99SH

https://www.youtube....h?v=QvcJ_lU_VpQ
Off topic: Also its been awhile since I spotted you

Old 01-30-2015, 11:42 AM

Received 98 Likes on 73 Posts

Jason at Spider Autoglass could help you out with that or give you some tips.

They have done some installs on Mugen tops with a much simpler cleaner looking window moulding.
Old 02-01-2015, 12:13 PM

Thanks. I live in Daly City so I'm not too far away. I'm gonna go get it painted first before I start installing all the hardware.

Originally Posted by 99SH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvcJ_lU_VpQ
Thanks for the video. Gave me a pretty good visual on how to do it. Doesn't look too hard.

Originally Posted by andrewhake

They have done some installs on Mugen tops with a much simpler cleaner looking window moulding.
I'll check them out if all else fails. Lol.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by andrewhake

are you talking about replica tops because it cant get much cleaner then authentic mugen molding..
Old 02-02-2015, 06:12 PM

Received 98 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewhake' timestamp='1422650527' post='23487829

are you talking about replica tops because it cant get much cleaner then authentic mugen molding..
I doubt it matters if the top is replica or not, but the moulding Jason came up with to use for the Mugen hardtop windows is much cleaner than the included authentic Mugen molding. It's probably a bit more aero efficient as well since it doesn't bulge out as much.

Here it is on Jei's Mugen top:

Quick Reply: Mugen Hardtop