California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Moving to SF and need some advice.

Old 01-17-2008, 04:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving to SF and need some advice.

Im moving to San Fran this summer and I just need some tips on places to live. Im married so my biggest priority is my wifes saftey. Ill be working at the airport so anything within 40 mins would be ideal. Also someplace thats s2000 friendly as in a garage or at least covered parking that isnt 6 inches away from the next car. My rent budget is between 1,800-2,200 so im sure a single family home is impossible on that but I also dont want to live in a highrise either. Any help would be great. Thanks
Old 01-17-2008, 05:28 AM

are u a pilot?
Old 01-17-2008, 06:26 AM

Burlingame , Daly City, Pacifica are all near to SFO and are great areas. Good places for a family as well. Rent can be a bit steep though.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:07 AM

San Mateo isn't too farm from SFO. Decent prices there.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:55 AM

Received 148 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by SlickShoe671,Jan 17 2008, 05:00 AM
Im moving to San Fran this summer and I just need some tips on places to live. Im married so my biggest priority is my wifes saftey. Ill be working at the airport so anything within 40 mins would be ideal. Also someplace thats s2000 friendly as in a garage or at least covered parking that isnt 6 inches away from the next car. My rent budget is between 1,800-2,200 so im sure a single family home is impossible on that but I also dont want to live in a highrise either. Any help would be great. Thanks
you can find a house in a decent neighborhood for $2000/month easily.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:23 AM

DONT LIVE IN SF CUZ ITS EXPENSIVE..DC,MILLBRAE,SAN BRUNO SHOULD BE FINE
Old 01-17-2008, 11:29 AM

Anywhere within 40 minutes to SFO gives you a lot of options. I live in the city and it takes me 20 minutes to get there.

The question is whether you want to live in San Francisco, or on the Peninsula? San Francisco will cost more, you won't be able to get a single family home there for $2200, not in a nice neighborhood anyway. Unfortunately for you, rent has skyrocketed in the last year, and even getting a 2bed 2bath condo with a covered garage will average $2400-$2500 in the city (for a nice neighborhood).

But if your wife isn't going to be driving, living in the city will put you guys a lot closer to shops, restaurants, and entertainment.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:54 PM

There's a great inexpensive neighborhood in downtown SF that would be perfect: The Tenderloin. It has lots of diversity and rich history. Lots of alternative "services" there and, best yet, you'll have the only S2000 in the whole neighborhood!

Just kidding. You should only live in the Tenderloin if you like strip clubs and prostitutes.

You won't be able to find a 2 bedroom in SF for roughly under $1600 or so a month and it may be really stripped down. I was recently on the hunt and decent places were usually $2000 or more. A good place to look is craigslist. Garage parking is EXTREMELY rare and usually available for a fee ($200 a month minimum). If you'd like to live in the city the Richmond, Sunset and Marina districts are pretty nice but also pricey. Keep in mind, demand in SF is so high, it is pretty tough to get a place even when you find one you like. It is best to try and impress the landlord by showing them you're stable and prepared to be a good tenant. Best to have paystubs, credit reports, renters insurance, etc documents ready and on hand.

You're best bet is in South San Francisco, Brisbane and Daly City.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:38 PM

san mateo/ burlingame, redwood city, foster city millbrae are all close and i would say are more S friendly then the City can be
Old 01-20-2008, 07:14 PM

san mateo, foster city, san carlos, belmont, redwood city. burlingame and millbrae could work out too and would be create if you can find one decent. and that's where the sun "usually" begins.

you're not too far away from SFO and traffic isn't quite that bad. Also warmer than SF. I used to live in SF for 20 yrs up to 3 yrs ago, and driving up yesterday and hitting the ole' traffic, I don't miss it much.

We recently were thinking of moving and looking for places to live. The areas above you should be OK for your price range, but the neighborhood gets tougher or less palatable when you start dipping into the 1500-1700 range. I know. I drove around all the areas I was looking at prior to even meeting with the landlord. You might not have that luxury though. But the usual key rule is the more south you go, the cheaper (usually).

Quick Reply: Moving to SF and need some advice.