California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Moving to San Francisco from New Jersey

Old 12-18-2012, 08:19 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Chugs
I'd like to get your thoughts on this...my S2000's inspection expires in may, so I am considering getting it inspected early before I leave, which will give me two years until it needs to get inspected. My reasoning is I hear CA registration/inspection is a lot more expensive, but that's only what I've heard from a few friends. Care to shed some light on this?

With that in mind, I'm also going to be buying a motorcycle sometime when I'm out there, would I be able to register one with a NJ license, or will I have to have a CA license?
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/howto/htvr9.htm

You are supposed to register your car within 20 days of entering CA. You need a visual inspection (free?) and smog check. You will also have to pay for CA licensing fees. Your out of state inspection means zero in CA.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an intake that I don't have a CARB sticker for, though I'll try and get one from the manufacturer, and a Q300 catback exhaust. Also have the secondary air system delete, but have the CEL fix for it. Will I have an issue passing smog?
that will not pass in CA, you're gonna need a carb sticker of stock air box and the cel fix won't cut it either if they see it.

can't you have the car registered in NJ?(if you still have a home there)
Old 12-18-2012, 01:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chViETnk
Originally Posted by Chugs' timestamp='1355842448' post='22217280
I have an intake that I don't have a CARB sticker for, though I'll try and get one from the manufacturer, and a Q300 catback exhaust. Also have the secondary air system delete, but have the CEL fix for it. Will I have an issue passing smog?
that will not pass in CA, you're gonna need a carb sticker of stock air box and the cel fix won't cut it either if they see it.

can't you have the car registered in NJ?(if you still have a home there)
The CEL fix is tucked up under the dash and would be hard to spot, and the secondary air pump is hidden behind the bumper anyways, so I don't see how they would know? Would they notice the two hoses missing from the engine bay?

And I have the CARB sticker on it's way.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chuhsi
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/howto/htvr9.htm

You are supposed to register your car within 20 days of entering CA. You need a visual inspection (free?) and smog check. You will also have to pay for CA licensing fees. Your out of state inspection means zero in CA.
Thanks for that link. I won't *technically* be required to do that until I am employed in CA or have a residence and CA license, which won't happen for a few months after I get there.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chuhsi' timestamp='1355851191' post='22217597
http://www.dmv.ca.go...howto/htvr9.htm

Thanks for that link. I won't *technically* be required to do that until I am employed in CA or have a residence and CA license, which won't happen for a few months after I get there.
Or with in 20 days after you get a ticket. Lay low...lol. I go thru this crap all the time with cops. Some will question the hell out of you and look for things. One of my cars is registered in TX, Florida insurance, Puerto Rican DL and I reside in Dublin. I'm military so I'm legit but cops get mad and start looking for things to gig me on.