California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Moving to San Francisco from New Jersey

Old 12-12-2012, 03:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shehatezme
Originally Posted by scai103' timestamp='1355357782' post='22206894
Sunset and Richmond is not the best place where you want to leave your S overnight on the street.
I would second this.

Regarding where you want to live. It really depends on what you like to do. It will be awesome if you get the SF experience right when you move out here but Palo Alto is not a bad place to start since rent is cheaper and it's a lot safer to leave your car on the street (STAY AWAY from East Palo Alto though, it's pretty dangerous place to live). If I were you, I would look into renting in Palo Alto near the Caltrain station. The Caltrain station is a straight shot to SF, takes about 30 Mins on the bullet train, and it's pretty convenient there after. You can take Muni to get around the city once you get there. Driving from PA to SF is about a 30-40 minute drive depending on traffic. DT Palo Alto has a bunch of bars and it's cozy. Got a lot of Stanford students hanging out.
Thanks, that's really helpful. I had a pretty set mind on moving somewhere in the city, but that's why I came here to ask you guys. I know NYC great and there are only a few places that I would even consider having a car. I was hoping SF wasn't as bad, but I guess it is. I'll look into some places outside of SF.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:11 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Richmond and the Sunset are about the best options for parking in the city but still, I wouldn't leave my car there overnight. I'm in Nob Hill and I'd rather leave my car in the Sunset if I had to than outside of my place. You really need a garage in the city if you care about your car.

As mentioned before, the peninsula is not a bad area to live for the car guy on a budget. It seems like everybody from the s2ki Bay Area forum is from the peninsula and most of the get togethers are down that way. Personally I'd look in the East Bay before the peninsula, though. Emeryville, and certain parts of Oakland are good. It's not a bad commute on BART into SF.

In what part of the city will you be working?
Old 12-12-2012, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by odb812
Richmond and the Sunset are about the best options for parking in the city but still, I wouldn't leave my car there overnight. I'm in Nob Hill and I'd rather leave my car in the Sunset if I had to than outside of my place. You really need a garage in the city if you care about your car.

As mentioned before, the peninsula is not a bad area to live for the car guy on a budget. It seems like everybody from the s2ki Bay Area forum is from the peninsula and most of the get togethers are down that way. Personally I'd look in the East Bay before the peninsula, though. Emeryville, and certain parts of Oakland are good. It's not a bad commute on BART into SF.

In what part of the city will you be working?
Why would you prefer East Bay to the peninsula? My very good friend lives in Livermore, but I think that is a bit further than I'd like to live from the city. How is Berkeley?

I don't have a job locked down yet, but the potential's would be either Downtown or in the Marina District.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:43 PM
Community Organizer

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

I read up on your thread in the main forum, and I knew it was a matter of time before you posted here. That's quite a long drive and I hope the trailer will make it cross country! Sounds like fun.

As for places to stay, it's best not to be in the city. The suburbs are your best bet if you want to be close to SF, like the ones south of the city (Daly City, South San Francisco)
Old 12-12-2012, 04:43 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Livermore is out there. Berkeley is also a great option, but some places there can get expensive. The reason I like the east bay better is there is stuff actually going on there. The peninsula has no soul. It's just like living in any other suburb. It sounds like you want to live some place interesting and Oakland, Berkeley, and Emeryville are interesting places that are also close to the city.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by darkfalcon
I read up on your thread in the main forum, and I knew it was a matter of time before you posted here. That's quite a long drive and I hope the trailer will make it cross country! Sounds like fun.

As for places to stay, it's best not to be in the city. The suburbs are your best bet if you want to be close to SF, like the ones south of the city (Daly City, South San Francisco)
Thanks! The plus side of bringing the trailer is if something breaks, I have all of my tools with me, so a repair hopefully wouldn't be to difficult. Thanks for the recommendations, I saw some places in Daly City but am not sure how different it would be parking-wise.

Livermore is out there. Berkeley is also a great option, but some places there can get expensive. The reason I like the east bay better is there is stuff actually going on there. The peninsula has no soul. It's just like living in any other suburb. It sounds like you want to live some place interesting and Oakland, Berkeley, and Emeryville are interesting places that are also close to the city.
You nailed it, I don't want to live in a suburb that has nothing going on, that's what I've been doing the past two years and it's terrible. I'd like to be close to the city but also be able to go out around my place to meet people and have some fun too. I'll look into Berkeley, Oakland and Emeryville; are there any parts in particular that would have a better parking situation/safer?
Old 12-12-2012, 05:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you already have a job lined up? Because depends on where in the city you are planning on living. If it is BART accessible or not. If you work close to a BART station then you can live from Daly City, South City, San Bruno. They are the first stops before the city and you can also drive if you have parking available. Living in the east bay makes your commute pretty bad especially if you are driving. Also what time would you be working. If you are working the typical 8-5 job, traffic can get pretty bad.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:52 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I vote for MP PA car is super safe. MP cops are the worst for pointless tint and exhaust and no front plate ticket though. Yes. The worst.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chugs
Originally Posted by darkfalcon' timestamp='1355363024' post='22207062

Thanks! The plus side of bringing the trailer is if something breaks, I have all of my tools with me, so a repair hopefully wouldn't be to difficult. Thanks for the recommendations, I saw some places in Daly City but am not sure how different it would be parking-wise.

You nailed it, I don't want to live in a suburb that has nothing going on, that's what I've been doing the past two years and it's terrible. I'd like to be close to the city but also be able to go out around my place to meet people and have some fun too. I'll look into Berkeley, Oakland and Emeryville; are there any parts in particular that would have a better parking situation/safer?
^i dont know if this guy was serious or not but i would stay the hell away from oakland/emeryville. if you meant by stuff going on, you mean gun shots..?

just to give you an idea, they have stores over there that have to beep you in the door to let you inside.. lol

i would avoid the bridge if possible. like some other guy said. san bruno/daly city/south san francisco are good options right outside of san francisco.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After reading all of these comments... OP wants a place with some sort of culture/life, he wants a safe and quiet spot for him to park his car, and he wants a reasonable commute to the city, all for around $700.

This is simple, you're going to need to give one or more of those up, the question is which ones are you willing to give up and then we can really start to recommend some places to live.

Quick Reply: Moving to San Francisco from New Jersey