California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Moving to Mountain View

Old 08-06-2009, 05:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving to Mountain View

Hey guys,

I may be relocating to Mountain View for work (currently in NY). Is it advisable to bring the S with me? How is parking, vandalism, crime, and the car culture over there?

All feedback would be welcome.

Thanks!

Tom
Old 08-06-2009, 05:51 PM

car culture is okay. IMO its just that you must know the bad apples from the good.. but youre in luck if youre moving in mountain view. we s2ki bay area folks always hangout (mini meets) if youre bored and we have a friday weekly meets wherein you could ask almost everything you wanna know about the our car

spontaneous meets and drives, car shows here and there.

if you arrive in moutainview let us know! woot!
Old 08-06-2009, 06:03 PM

MV is a good area. Is that where your job is or are you specifically moving to MV? You could move anywhere from San Jose to SF. MV is a very suburban area, which is why I didn't move there for the 3 years I worked there.

MV is a little cheaper than Palo Alto, and the closer you get to San Jose, the lower the rent goes, FYI.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never had a problem with my S in a carport living in MV. It also depends on what side of town you live at though. For the most part, MV is a good area.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:05 PM

Would be working there... where should I live?
Old 08-06-2009, 10:14 PM

MV is pretty good area. It depends on how much do you want to pay for rent. Will you be out here before you actually move? It might be worth the trip to check some areas before you commit to MV.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

woo i'd be spotting you everyday then! i live pretty close to mv
Old 08-06-2009, 10:21 PM

Mountain view is pretty safe. Just don't park outside overnight, shit happens anywhere.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:57 PM

Mt. View can be pretty expensive to rent. (You're looking at probably $1000 per room roughly before you factor in utilities and all that other stuff.) Especially since a large tech company happens to be HQ in Mt. View. You could try Sunnyvale which is a little further south and the commute north to Mt. View would be about 15-20 mins in traffic, 7-10mins w/o. Santa Clara is another good option and that's about another 5-7 mins south of Sunnyvale.

If you want to move a little further north, Redwood City is a nice area. There's parts of Redwood City that can be expensive too since Oracle is in that area. I'd say Sunnyvale/Santa Clara is a good middle. You can take Central all the way up from Santa Clara. Milpitas is also another option since all you'd have to do is cross 237 to get to Mt. View from Milpitas. Cupertino is another alternative, but also on the pricey side. Cupertino is a good city in general.

I work up in Mt. View and commute from south east ish San Jose. Takes about 20 mins no traffic. 30-45 on average with morning traffic. 1hr if there's an accident. 1hr 15 if there's rain, 1hr 30 if there's rain and an accident.

Which company you working at? There's quite a bit of smaller companies/start ups in Mt. View and several larger tech companies. A few of us work in the Mt. View/Palo Alto area and sometimes we get together for lunch.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by lilazngrl4o8,Aug 6 2009, 10:57 PM
Mt. View can be pretty expensive to rent. (You're looking at probably $1000 per room roughly before you factor in utilities and all that other stuff.) Especially since a large tech company happens to be HQ in Mt. View. You could try Sunnyvale which is a little further south and the commute north to Mt. View would be about 15-20 mins in traffic, 7-10mins w/o. Santa Clara is another good option and that's about another 5-7 mins south of Sunnyvale.

If you want to move a little further north, Redwood City is a nice area. There's parts of Redwood City that can be expensive too since Oracle is in that area. I'd say Sunnyvale/Santa Clara is a good middle. You can take Central all the way up from Santa Clara. Milpitas is also another option since all you'd have to do is cross 237 to get to Mt. View from Milpitas. Cupertino is another alternative, but also on the pricey side. Cupertino is a good city in general.

I work up in Mt. View and commute from south east ish San Jose. Takes about 20 mins no traffic. 30-45 on average with morning traffic. 1hr if there's an accident. 1hr 15 if there's rain, 1hr 30 if there's rain and an accident.

Which company you working at? There's quite a bit of smaller companies/start ups in Mt. View and several larger tech companies. A few of us work in the Mt. View/Palo Alto area and sometimes we get together for lunch.

Quick Reply: Moving to Mountain View