California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Moving to "THE CITY" NOW for a year - help! :)

Old 10-25-2013, 01:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks man! I ended up using Alpine (broker)! Took a lot of time to decide...seems legit. $1900..

So I will land in SF I think. What do you guys think of the Marina area, I guess by the GG bridge? And what's up with Albany? Is it city-ish? Any recs for where to live in SF overall?

THANK YOU! Moving in like 5 days....no clue to where!

-T
Old 10-25-2013, 01:38 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

SF is full. please try again next century.

j/k welcome & good luck. it really is packed here tho. getting morseo, literally by the day.

p.s. please don't call it San Fran or Frisco. you'll single yourself out as even more of a tourist/transplant. The City is fine. yes, "The."
Old 10-25-2013, 09:28 PM

How much per month? Marina is a happening place with $$$. Maybe $2500-$3000 for a small studio. Maybe less if it's a slumlord type place. With no parking. Parking is bad in the marina. Expect to ruin your car. There are $100k cars with fender bender and no paint bumpers there. They literarily nudge into the space. I work there so yea...
Old 10-26-2013, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by Trustd_1
p.s. please don't call it San Fran or Frisco. you'll single yourself out as even more of a tourist/transplant. The City is fine. yes, "The."
fixed
Old 10-26-2013, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by rymo926
How much per month? Marina is a happening place with $$$. Maybe $2500-$3000 for a small studio. Maybe less if it's a slumlord type place. With no parking. Parking is bad in the marina. Expect to ruin your car. There are $100k cars with fender bender and no paint bumpers there. They literarily nudge into the space. I work there so yea...
Thanks! Nah I don't need to live in that immediate place then APPRECIATED!

What are you thinking around Marina area? Or can I get to Marina from anywhere in SF in the AM in 10 min or less? I don't care where since I don't know The City at all anyway! Would rent a room + bathroom. Don't really want own place....I don't know my way around and I like people.

What's up with Albany?

Thank you all
Old 10-26-2013, 02:48 PM

10mins in the AM can only move you about a mile to two in that area.
And it's still $$$. lower nob hill is your best bet on lower price for a room and closest to the bridge.
just google map bush and polk st. can be rough block to block.

you can try the sunset for a room for probably even lower rent. but it's like the burb out there, but close to stuff and 19th ave all the way to the bridge. maybe 20min to the bridge depending where in sunset.

nothing happening in albany, you can start a family that's a kind of happening.

pm me, anyway to make your transition easier.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:22 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Santa Rosa is FAAAAR away from "civilization." lol seriously, can't say that i've spent a lot of time up there, but my cousin & his wife lived there for a couple years while he was going to nursing school. they didn't like it all that much. it's beautiful, but not a whole lot to do. not a very diverse place either, apparently.

Albany is a decent place. A friend of mine lives there. He's a family guy. It is a suburb, but it's close enough to SF and pretty safe, compared to Oakland, Richmond, etc.

If you're here for just a year and can afford it, I think you'd have the most fun staying in The City. yes, "The." ok, i'll stop. lol Downtown is not all ghetto, but the safe & affordable areas, if there is such a thing here, won't be downtown. Try Craigslist and look for an apt/condo/flat to share. If you want your own place, it's going to be really tough, esp for just a year. SF has one of, if not the hottest rental market in the US. there are articles about it all the time. Average rent here is $3k+, but that includes homes.

As someone else mentioned, you can look into renting an in-law in the Sunset or Richmond. Imo, that would be the most affordable and safest choice.... but not for your s2k. they're nice areas to live, but two of the hottest places for stolen cars. needless to say, a garage is pretty much a must. i've lived in both areas and still spend a lot of time there.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:20 AM

THANKS guys! I got a "flat" right in the middle...with a garage! !

Can anyone direct me to purchasing a cheap, like 24" flat TV? All I'm seeing is Best Buy.

Anyway, this place is badass! Buses attached to cables wtf!

-T
Old 10-31-2013, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Trustd_1
Santa Rosa is FAAAAR away from "civilization." lol seriously, can't say that i've spent a lot of time up there, but my cousin & his wife lived there for a couple years while he was going to nursing school. they didn't like it all that much. it's beautiful, but not a whole lot to do. not a very diverse place either, apparently.
Yeah man....I absolutely couldn't do it! Would've cried myself to sleep. Not going to pay to build some zen garden and get stalked by roosters and someone's protege stepchild. Or live in a place with an old dude who is 40 years his BF's senior and operates the house as a B&B. Not kidding! Also don't want people to scream at me if I don't "420". Haha.

So thanks again!

-T
Old 10-31-2013, 10:07 AM

in the city? there is best buy, target and a costco.

that's about it.

in the bay area there are also sam club, walmart, frys, kmart, kohls, sears, JCP.

Quick Reply: Moving to "THE CITY" NOW for a year - help! :)